We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking or trolley?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Walking or trolley?

Hello :)

I and my husband will visit Washington DC for a short day trip from New York. The plan is to arrive at 11am and leave at 6pm. I know it is too short and very ambitious plan, but that's what we have.

We are not museum person, so the plan is to walk from Union station to US Capitol, then pass the Mall (taking picture only, not visiting any museum) to Washington monument, walk to Lincoln Memorial, then to White House. From there, we will take metro to go back to Union station.

My question is it is better to walk to to buy a trolley tickets? I looked at trolley price, it is $35 per person, considering we will not see much, we prefer to walk or maybe take taxi from US Capital to Washington monument. We prefer to walk as long as it is not too long and the weather is not too hot. We will visit at the end of October, the weather should be fine.

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,985 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,082 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,267 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,778 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking or trolley?

Walk all the way - then take a taxi back.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking or trolley?

The BEST way to see DC is on the BIKESHARE. Bring a visa or mc and just go to the station and put a CC in. It is $7 per bike for the day rental. You can have access to bikes ALL DAY - but just have to stop every 25 minutes at any of the convenient (many) stations to click in and out before 30 minutes is up because the first 30 minutes of any trip is FREE for the whole day. DC is super fun on bike and you can dock at the various monuments, take a beautiful ride up to georgetown and back on beautiful bike trail. The monuments and sites are not that close together and you will get tired of walking...but if you go to the DC Bikeshare site ahead of time to see the maps etc...you can get along fine for the day and make the absolute most of it! It is economical as long as you dock the bike every 30 minutes - which is easy to do. You will still get plenty of walking in but save a lot of time. This is our 1st time in DC and it is beautiful, safe and SO easy to get around - tons of buses - see the dc circulator site as well! PS there is a very easy bike trails on the inside loop of all the main monuments...just ride it and dock the bike while you enjoy the monuments in between! www.capitalbikeshare.com (caveat - they take a temporary deposit of $105 per bike on the credit card but it is only temporary) Enjoy DC!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking or trolley?

Thanks Victoria. Is it easy to get taxi?

Thanks Blessaugo for the bike idea. It looks very convinient and brilliant idea. Just one thing that bothers me. Do we need to wear a helmet? We are from Australia. We will not bring helmets. To buy a helmet only to ride a bike for few hours doesn't sound right to me. I guess we'd better walk and take taxi on the way back. Thanks anyway.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking or trolley?

While helmets are always a good idea, they are not required for adults. Taxis are everywhere.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking or trolley?

Thanks Longhorn!

6. Re: Walking or trolley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 05:18