We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to propose?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to propose?

I am going on family trip to Washington DC in October. I have my girlfriend flying up to join us for the rest of our trip(she has class the first part of the trip). But what she doesn't know is my family is leaving 1-2 days early and she and I our staying. I plan to propose. Any suggestions on places to pop the question? I was think either the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorial at night because of the lighting, grandeur and lack of crowds. I can't decide on a hotel I wanna do something memorable maybe the Ritz. Also no clue on a nice romantic restaurant. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to propose?

First of all, congratulations! I think that the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorial would be good spots.

As for the restaurant --- what type of food would you like to have and what is your price range?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to propose?

Big fan of Seafood/American and Asian(Thai/Indian/Japanese). I am not really too worried about price for this meal willing to spend $100 a plate.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
761 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to propose?

FDR Memorial (esp at night) at the water's edge - you can see a number of the other monuments/memorials from there so it's like a 3 (or 4? I need to count again how many monuments you can see :)) for one deal! ;)

For a hotel - my favorites for special occasions include the Willard, Hay-Adams, and in Georgetown, the Four Seasons. The Mandarin Oriental is really nice but the location is a bit random and feels remote. However, their restaurant, CityZen, is fantastic (tasting menu - vegetarian tasting menu is also available and I can vouch that it is awesome). Some other restaurant ideas in no particular order: Marcel's, Proof, The Source by Wolfgang Puck (loud though), 1789 (but I wish they had not relaxed their dress code, which used to be suits/jackets), The Oval Room.

Have fun!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to propose?

Congratulations! DC is a great city for engagements. For me, personally, nothing matches the beauty of the steps of the Jefferson Memorial at night, because you have the expansive water and other monuments as a backdrop. The Lincoln Memorial is also iconic, so hard to go wrong there. One thing I might suggest is you have some flexibility as to the exact spot, and plan a visit to both of those along with FDR one evening. When you get to a beautiful spot / moment, go for it!

For hotels, it's hard to go wrong with the Willard Intercontinental, which is a grand old hotel in a great location on Pennsylvania Ave. The Hay Adams could be good too. I am also partial to the Sofitel, as the rooms are incredibly comfortable and the staff (it's a French chain) are very attentive. I'd also expect the Sofitel folks to do something nice for you if you called the concierge and explained you were getting engaged, e.g. arranging the room with rose petals while you are out at the monuments. (I bet the others would too, but I've never made a request like that at the other hotels).

The two Ritz Carltons as well as the Four Seasons are not actually in the best location relative to the Mall / Monuments, but if I were going to pick one of them it would probably be the Ritz in the West End as it's the newest building and there have been so many good places to eat that have sprung up near there. You are also walking distance to Foggy Bottom Metro.

For dinner you have many great choices. As noted above CityZen is great, but $100 a plate probably won't be enough for your meal. I agree the Source is great for Asian fusion, but I also agree most of the tables are really loud and not what I think of as romantic. Marcel's (traditional French) also makes my list as one of the most romantic spots in town. Even with the dress code change, I think 1789 is a good choice -- it's traditional American in a historic old row house in Georgetown. I'd add to that list Oceanaire for seafood. Yes it's a chain, but a high-end chain with a nice quiet dining room and good service.

Post back after your visit and let us know how it goes!

Edited: 01 October 2013, 13:03
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to propose?

Depending on when you're here, if the government is still shut down, the memorials will be barricaded and the fountains shut down.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to propose?

Actually the Four Seasons is not that far from the Lincoln Memorial compared many downtown hotels. It is easy to get to the route Arlingtonman often recommends for an evening monument tour starting with the trail between the river and the Kennedy Center.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to propose?

Sorry, double post.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 14:29
8. Re: Where to propose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:40