We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Arlington cemetery and house

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
454 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Arlington cemetery and house

We'll be spending a few days in Standardsville, VA at the end of May. I'm considering a day trip to visit the cemetery and house during that time. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer:

1) How horrible is the traffic, and just figuring out where to go? We are from a rural area and not used to driving in heavy traffic on a daily basis. This would be a Wednesday, last week in May.

2) How much time should we allow for a visit? We'd want to walk around the cemetery, and also tour Lee's house.

3) I read in a different thread where someone mentioned it's possible to walk from the cemetery to the Lincoln Memorial. Is that easy and safe to do? Are there any other memorials nearby that it's possible to walk to?

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,946 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Arlington cemetery and house

You will probably not run into any horrendous traffic coming from Standardsville, VA into DC. You will not use I-95 where some of the worst problems occur daily. If you time your trip to arrive no earlier than 10AM you should have no problems coming in on Rt 29 and I-66. Finding the entrance to parking at Arlington Cemetery is a little tricky, but not impossible. Parking is not free there, incidentally. I would think 3 hours minimum for a good visit to the Cemetery and including the house tour. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/

The Lincoln Memorial is about a mile from the Arlington Cemetery Visitor Center walking across the Memorial Bridge. Except for traffic it is quite safe. And traffic is not that much of a problem either. Sidewalks all the way. The Korean War Memorial, the Vietnam Wall and the Albert Einstein statue are all close by. MLK and FDR are a little further to walk.

2. Re: Day trip to Arlington cemetery and house

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:21