We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to the Smithsonian

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to the Smithsonian

An option....we could drive to the Smithsonian on Rt. 66 from Massanutten, VA (my question below) instead of parking at the Vienna station & taking the train in. How reasonable is this? Parking? Would my husband and I have to take turns driving around while one of us ran in and toured???? Again, thanks for your help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to the Smithsonian

It depends on the day of the week. On a Sunday, any spot you find on the street you can leave your car at all day. On other days of the week, meters are active at most spots and you can only feed the meter for a couple hours before you run the risk of getting a large parking ticket.

Maryland
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to the Smithsonian

If you want to to all day touring on a weekday or saturday and not deal with the meter issue Matt brought up (and remember, in DC meters are $2/hour with a 2 hour max, and yes the meter maids will catch you if you don't move your car after those two hours), you could park in the garages at either L'enfant plaza (closest to the air and space museum), or in the Reagan building (closer to the Natural History and American History museums), but each of those will run you about $20 for the day to warehouse your car.

Which Smithsonians do you plan on visiting? There are about a half dozen on the mall itself and the Castle is essentially a glorified visitor's center. Personally, I find my mind pretty drained after one, but if you want to make a marathon of it, keep in mind that you probably won't want to move the car whenever you switch museums (unless you stick to the 2 hour time limit and keep feeding meters all day, then you'd pretty much have to, but 2 hours is not enough for most of the museums, unless you rush them).

Is it just the two of you? Unless there is some major track work on metro, I'd highly recommend sticking with metro.

3. Re: Driving to the Smithsonian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:19