We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

I'm considering taking a bus from NYC to DC on Thanksgiving Day that stops by the Bethesda Red Line station.

The idea is that I'd have to take the Red Line from Union Station to my Metro Center hotel anyway with other bus lines, and this both shaves half an hour off of the sitting-on-a-bus time and avoids in-city traffic. I have a strong personal preference for sitting on trains over buses. Amtrak, sadly, is sold out.

Over on the NYC board someone tells me that the Red Line is a mess on weekends and holidays. Will they be running sufficient trains from Bethesda on Thanksgiving, d'you think?

DC
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

Your advice from the NY board is mistaken. You'll be fine. They'll run on a Sunday schedule but you probably figured on that.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,559 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

They do construction on weekends. Can't imagine they'll be doing any on Thanksgiving Day.

You can always check Metro's website for updates if anything changes.

http://wmata.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

That was me on the NY forum. *Holidays* aren't necessarily bad. *Weekends* are bad. That is not incorrect. It's a sad fact of life - as anyone who attempts to take the Metro regularly on weekends knows all too well, alas! :)

I've taken the Metro numerous times on Thanksgiving day and it's always been fine. Again, the problem generally is *weekends,* not holidays. Also, sometimes for holiday weekends they suspend track work, which is nice - then you can take the Metro just fine.

Also, note that Union Station to Metro Center is a much shorter trip than Bethesda to Metro Center. In a pinch, you can walk it (which I do all the time - though not while schlepping lots of luggage). And you're not really driving through "city traffic" coming in to Union Station - every time I've taken the bus it basically comes off the expressway (which can be congested, no doubt) and then drops you off at Union Station. You're not driving across all of DC. I've never taken the bus to Bethesda so I can't comment on how much traffic you hit or avoid that way.

It's not a totally crazy or awful plan you have - I just want to caution you that your plan may not be the time-saver you hope it is.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

Well, I'm not looking for a *time* saver per se. I'm just looking for a *time on the bus* saver. I'm willing to trade more train for less bus.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

Curious, I just looked on Bolt, Mega, and Vamoose's sites to compare the trip times they list (always somewhat aspirational since traffic is unpredictable). Vamoose says 4 to 4.5 hours for NYC to Bethesda; Mega states 4h15, 4h20, or 5h5 for NYC to DC Union Station; Bolt shows 4h15 for most trips between NYC and DC Union Station. So it's not clear going to Bethesda rather than DC really saves you time on the bus.

Good luck, though, and have a great time in DC, however you get here!

6. Re: Red Line on Thanksgiving Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:16