We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

We're leaving our Baltimore hotel from a wedding weekend around noon, and our flight from Dulles doesn't leave until 6ish, so was hoping to spend a few hours in DC before taking the West Falls Church shuttle to DC. I can get a ride into DC area from Baltimore from a friend without a problem, but then after that we'd be on our own. And the issue is we'll have a large suitcase, a smaller suitcase, and 2 backpacks between the 2 of us.

Any recommendations on what we can do for a couple hours where we can either leave the luggage behind or it won't be too much of a burden to have bags with us?

(Activity itself isn't so important. My original idea was check bags at a Smithsonian museum, got to the museum for a few hours and then hop on the orange line to West Falls Church. But upon further research, it doesn't seem that the museums will allow you to take large suitcases)

Edited: 10 November 2013, 14:16
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

The only place I know of to store large bags in DC is at Union Station. Here is the link: tiburonlockers.com/storage-solutions/union-s… Another possibility is to rent a car big enough to hold all your luggage. And I believe some companies will allow a trip to Dulles without an extra drop-off fee, which would avoid dragging luggage on public transportation.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

Agreed with Darrell. The lockers at Smithsonians would hold a backpack but nothing larger. I would go with the rental car as that would probably be easiest

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

Also - since leaving Baltimore at 12 and arriving at Dulles around 4 for a 6ish flight doesn't really leave you much sightseeing time anyway - (total travel time could be 1.5- 2 hours) you might think about just going to Dulles, checking in your bags and visiting the Udvar Hazy air and space museum near the airport.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

Thanks for the replies. We ended up going the rental car route, which worked out very well for our needs. At first I was put off by the listed prices which would have been ~$100 for a rental of a few hours, but I ended up using the "name your price" option on priceline and got a car for $45 all-in, which was probably cheaper than the metro and shuttle bus combinations we had been planning on using to get to Dulles alone. It also worked very well for storing luggage and was more convenient in general. We really didn't have much time for sightseeing obviously, but we walked around the mall and briefly through the National Museum of Natural History, which broke up the day of travel nicely. Thanks again.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

So glad it worked out well for you. And thank you for coming back and letting us know what worked.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

Glad it worked out for you. Come back again for a longer stay!!!

7. Re: Few hours to spend in DC w/ luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17