We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

3 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

Hi Guys;

We are planning to travel from Houston to Washington for this Christmas and New Year Holiday with 10 - 11 days time to go and come back. From Maps i see there is 2 options I-59&I-81 or go through I-10&I-85. I would like to get advise on:

- Which is better option for road trip?

- Which way i could avoid or minimize snow or ice during my trip?

- What are your suggestions for this destination?

- Point of interest while taking break.

We are 4 adults and a baby of 18 mos old.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
49 reviews
from US$49.00*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
4 reviews
from US$65.00*
International Spy Museum
204 reviews
from US$19.50*
Private Smithsonian Combo Tour...
2 reviews
from US$119.00*
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,264 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

Having made this trip several times, I would suggest the most southern route you can go if you are driving in December. But, you'll need to check the weather each day as sometimes the southern route has more snow/ice than the northern one. I have always made this trip driving long days and it takes nearly 3 full days. This is NOT, however, what I would suggest for your family--especially since you are travelling with a toddler. I would allow at least 4 days/3 nights to get from Houston to D.C. and the same amount of time driving back. Unfortunately, that does not give you much time in D.C.

You might want to go to the Road Trip forum to ask about points of interest during breaks. As I said, I have always done this as an endurance drive--no time for breaks or sightseeing.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

Thanks for your advise,

For the 3 days driving, what would be the best time to start driving and take rest?

I believe it would be depend on the weather also, but please share your experience also.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

I would suggest starting your trip after morning rush hour. Get on I-10 and head east. Depending on how many hours per day you want to drive and what you want to see will dictate just where you should stop. You could consider spending the night in New Orleans or Jacksonville, FL. I-10 ends in Jacksonville and at that point, you head north on I-95. Then, perhaps, a stop overnight in SC or NC. You really need to come with a list of places you would like to stop and decide just how many hours per day you want to drive.

4. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 13:35
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
700 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

Another option is to take I-10 to 59 and then up to Knoxville. Knoxville to DC can be done in one day, in my opinion, but your travel schedule will certainly depend on your family situation (my kid always slept lots in the car, no matter what...great for road trips). From Knoxville you can take 81 up into VA. Then you can head into DC on 66. There are lots of trucks on 81. And you probably won't do this anyway, but just a warning to avoid morning rush hour in Northern VA to DC under any circumstances. Have fun and make lots of memories for the kids!

Just a note about a previous post...if you only make it from Houston to New Orleans on your first day, I fear you'll be on the road forever and only get to DC in time to turn around and start back home :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

If you get weather like the US has been dealing with this past week, you will regret ever thinking about a winter road trip. Being trapped in a hotel with only vending machine snacks to eat is not much fun for anyone. (I spent 3 days in a Hampton Inn near Louisville, trying to get to central Indiana for Christmas. Never again.) khou.com/news/national/Storm-along-East-Coas…

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

I would not recommend taking I-59 during the winter months. --- Unless you really have to.

8. Re: Road Trip Houston to Washington DC on this Christmas Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:18