We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

Bramhall, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

We are looking to spend 4 nights at the Sofitel Hotel in Washington in May but my concern is the amount of good restaurants in the area.

Whilst we want to be in a great location to see the monuments and The White house etc we do want to be near great restaurants in the evening.

Is the Sofitel Hotel the best for this option or is there better hotels/locations to stay?

Thanks

Kerry

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

We loved our stay at The Sofitel. Cabs are easy to catch from there. We enjoyed Blue Duck Tavern and Plume for dinners out. :).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

Yes, there are better options than the Sofitel for being close to many restaurant options. But it is still a fine choice. And that hotel is so close to Metro and easy to take a taxi, you can get to nearly any restaurant in DC you want to go to in a few minutes. What sort of cuisine are you most interested in?

Bramhall, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

We are most interested in American food (burgers, steak, BBQ) not sure how many BBQ restaurants there is.

Level Contributor
35,264 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

I've heard Old Ebbitt's Grill is very good. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

If you would like some good American food go to one of the Clyde's group, a local chain of beautiful restaurants that includes the Old Ebbitt Grill. But do go to OEG as it is more concerned with getting tourists in and out fast to be recommended by me. Instread go around the corner from OEG to The Hamilton. Or over to the Glyde's Gallery Place. All have similar menus but not identical. http://www.clydes.com/

There is also a branch of Bobby Van's Steaks right across the street from the Sofitel if that appeals to you. http://www.bobbyvans.com/15th-street.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

DC is not known for BBQ, but one good place is Hill Country BBQ. It is closer to the Verizon Center (Chinatown/Gallery Place).

dctravel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
308 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

I like Woodward Table. It is a restaurant right across the street from the Sofitel. The very popular Old Ebbitt Grill is just one block away. The Hamilton another restaurant to keep in mind because it is nearby, massive, and open all the time.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

Woodward Table is a nice place and also very convenient. Their take-out next door with the clever name WTF is good for lunch. Maybe breakfast too, but I have never been there in the morning. http://woodwardtable.com/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

The Occidental, in the Willard Hotel complex, is just a short walk from the Sofitel and around the corner from the OEG, and is much calmer than the OEG. I love the OEG's crab cakes, but sometimes it seems like people must feel it is the only restaurant around, given the zoolike crowds! The Occidental's crab cakes are just as delicious and the atmosphere is so much more calm. You may even be able to walk in without a reservation - by contrast, I'd never approach the OEG without a reservation in hand.

And if you go to the Hamilton, keep in mind they have a sushi happy hour 7 days a week from 3pm to 6pm - all a la carte sushi is half price. It's an amazing deal! The sushi is terrific and you can sit anywhere, not just at the sushi bar or other bar, to get the happy hour deal.

Also not far from the Sofitel are two of my other favorite restaurants, The Oval Room and Bombay Club (sibling restaurants across from each other, with very different, but equally excellent, food - American and Indian, respectively).

10. Re: Restaurants near Sofitel Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17