We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day week plannig

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day week plannig

I am wondering if going to DC the week of Memorial Day will not be a good use of time. Is it extra crowded that weekend and I am assuming most of the attactions are closed on Monday so that would be a wasted day. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

Generally crowded for the Rolling Thunder Motorcyle Rally. That being said, that would be great to see. Not sure if its busy just that day or the rest of the week...

I don't think any museums etc are closed on that day.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 18:43
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

None of the attractions (monuments, memorials, museums) are closed on Monday (Memorial Day). Everything will be open for business as usual.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

Thanks for your responses. I am sure I'll be back with more questions.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

Keep in mind that it will also be Graduation Week for many local colleges and universities, so hotel rooms in certain locations may be at a premium.

CT
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

Also the National Memorial Day parade is on that Monday. Lots of High Schools and colleges will be in with marching bands. Our high school band will be there! 118 kids in the band and over 40 chaperones.

DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

Memorial Day weekend is one of my favorite weekends in DC. There is a ton of stuff to do and plenty of events at the veterans memorials.. Rolling thunder is a highlight on sunday morning. 100,000 harleys thunderin through DC. Concert Sunday evening on the Capitol grounds, Parade on Monday afternoon and the Nationals will also be playing on Monday. crowds are not that bad and it is still not too hot.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

This is usually the one weekend of the year I always wish I had left town! Very busy and some years can be quite warm and humid. When choosing accomodations, be aware that Rolling Thunder takes over Crystal City and Pentagon City - the ground rumbles and it sounds like it's thundering during the entire weekend.

8. Re: Memorial Day week plannig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:16