We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown dc or Alexandria?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown dc or Alexandria?

I am looking at the Hampton inn White House or a few different places in old town alexandria. We are a family of 4 ( kids ages 10 and 13). We will not have a car. Opinions on locations as far as restaurants and sightseeing?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown dc or Alexandria?

I would suggest staying in DC as you will be closer to the major attractions. Plus it would be easier to return to the hotel during the day to rest.

Both Old Town and the area of the DC hotel have lots of dining options.

If you stay in DC, you can plan a visit to Old Town as part of your vacation, if you like.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown dc or Alexandria?

I always recommend staying in DC. Touristing here is hard work - amazing - but hard work with 5-8 miles of walking a day, figuring out logistics, negotiating & planning, plus the plain odd circumstances of a family being together pretty much 24/7 when in "real life" you probably spend 1-3 hours a day actually engaged with each other.

I've hosted at least 40 families a year for 7 years in DC. After 3 days everyone is pretty much overwhelmed, exhausted and needing a little "down time." If you are staying in the city, in a comfortable place with separate rooms or at least spaces for "escape," near a metro, with lots of dining, carry-out options etc. nearby, you will enjoy your trip 100 times more.

Having at least a kitchenette where you can make coffee and simple meals can make a world of difference.

You want a place that if someone is tired, they can just get on the metro and be "home" in 10 minutes. And a place where when you all get back in the evening - mom and son might can go out to eat within 1-2 blocks while dad and daughter pick up a pizza and watch a movie.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,183 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown dc or Alexandria?

Also, some hotels which infer that they are located in Old Town Alexandria are actually nowhere near it. If you decide to go with an Old Town Alexandria hotel, make sure that it is close to the King Street Metro.

4. Re: Downtown dc or Alexandria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:17