We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington dc tours

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
washington dc tours

Coming to Washington next week and plan to see all the monuments and sights. What is the best "hop on/off" tour in Washington? There seems to be a bunch of them: Old Town Trolley, Lil' Red Trolley, Tourmobile" etc. Is any one more desirable than the others? We have the city Visitor's Guide and have done some research in the internet- of course, each company says it's the best service- just wondered if anyone has an opinion.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington dc tours

To me the big difference is route.

Never heard of Lil' Red Trolley so I will only comment on Old Town Trolley (OTT) and Tourmobile (TM)

OTT offers a route that goes through Georgetown, Dupont, Embassy Row, and National Catherdral.

TM does not

TM offers a route through Arlington Cemetary. If you take OTT and want to be driven through Arl Cemetery then you need to play I think $6. Right now, too hot to walk up to the Tomb's of the Unknown unless you are a world class triathlete or marathoner.

It really depends on what you want to see.

Virginia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: washington dc tours

We just took the Tourmobile tour last week, when some family was in town. I'd definitely recommend it... it's cheaper than the trolleys, and goes by each stop at least every 20 minutes. It includes the Arlington Cemetery tour, which is a must!

Buffalo
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: washington dc tours

Thanks for the info. Considering the heat, I was also thinking that since they're coaches, the Tourmobile was probably air conditioned and might be a nice short COOL break between monuments, whereas the trolleys are open-aired and would be just as hot as being on the side walk.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: washington dc tours

I like the TourMobile better. It has nice people and gives more intersting facts and narrations, in my opinion.

Virginia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: washington dc tours

The tourmobile is open-air, just like a trolley. You get a nice breeze, though, and I don't think next week is going to be quiet as hot as it is now.