We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capitol Tour Attire??

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Capitol Tour Attire??

Is it okay to wear shorts on a Capitol Tour?? My husband says yes but I think we should wear something a little more "dressy"? He is looking at not having to go back to the hotel and change afterwards and feels we can go very casual as we are on vacation. A friend of mine whose son lived in DC while attending law school said also that we can be very casual as there are so many tourist buzzing around. But I am still not convinced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capitol Tour Attire??

Casual is fine especially if it is hot as it is now. Most people (if not all) right now are in shorts while visiting the Capitol.

New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Capitol Tour Attire??

Thanks Kvandy!! Our tour is scheduled for Monday July 24th so I am sure it is as hot there as here in NY.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,191 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capitol Tour Attire??

Seconding Kvandy here...wear what you're comfortable in. Shorts are fine. If you were going to have lunch with your Congressional Represenative or something it might be different, but you'll be fine in shorts.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Capitol Tour Attire??

mil731......I'm with you! ---and share your uneasiness about visiting the capitol in shorts.

I think you would be at ease in nice shorts with a nice top ---linen would be cool and look fine---cotton, okay, too.

You will certainly see a lot of people in shorts which are too tight and too short and t-shirts too little and rumpled. As long you you avoid that version, I'm think you will feel appropriately dressed.

This is just my humble opinion.

Have a great trip!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capitol Tour Attire??

I worked on Capital Hill for 6 years and I can assure you that you will be fine in shorts as a tourist. During the summer there are so many tourists and interns on the Hill and everyone is wearing very casual clothes. If Congress isn't in session that day, you'll also find most of the staff dressed very casually, unless their member specifically requires them to dress professionally at all times.