We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

I was fortunate enough to live in DC in 2002 for almost a year and was able to visit all the monuments, check out the Smithsonian Museums, I lived right by Eastern Market, actually gave Capitol Tours during my internship, walked the streets of Georgetown spent countless hours at the Library of Congress etc.

I'm heading back to DC for work in the first week of February and have scheduled 3 completely free days in the schedule to check out some of the things that I either missed, or weren't around last time I was here and wanted to get some suggestions on what's changed in DC in the last 10 years. I was sad to see that my former local bar (Red River Grill) has now become an upmarket establishment, while my favourite Indian Restaurant (White Tiger) that used to serve the best Sunday brunch (after a night at aforementioned Red River Grill) has also closed !! Thank goodness Hawk and Dove is still a DC institution!!

So far on my list I have the Spy Museum, Newseum, watch a Caps game, check out some of the bars on U Street and take the Monuments at Night tour. Time permitting I will definitely take a walk through some of the Smithsonians again. But what other attractions weren't around 10 years ago that I should consider adding this time ??

Sadly in the last 10 years it seems the Australian Embassy is still completely unable to organise White House tours - I'm beginning to think I'd have a better chance of getting elected President than waiting on them for help with a tour !!

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
446 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White Tiger
White Tiger
16 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,787 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Nonpartisan Pedicab
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Chariots for Hire Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
The Ghost Story Tour of Washington
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
DC Tours By Tim
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

Don't diss the Australian Embassy for failing to organize tours of the White House for their citizens--no embassies do this anymore. It's hard enough for U.S .citizens to get a tour, so I don't blame the foreign embassies for not wanting to get involved in all that.

Another museum which has opened in the past 10 years which I find fascinating is the Crime and Punishment Museum. I will say a lot of the exhibits focus on American criminals, but if you have an interest in police procedures, crime scene investigation, etc. you might still enjoy this museum. The hands-on activities (laser-based pistol range, safe-cracking exercise, robot bomb disposal simulation, etc) are a lot of fun.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,787 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

Thanks Longhorn, I actually thought about contacting the office of the Congresswoman I used to intern for in regards to White House tours, but as you say it's getting much harder to get tours and I didn't want to take a spot that a family from the Congresswoman's home state may use as I'm sure the visit would mean more to them.

The Crime and Punishment Museum sounds very interesting - appreciate the tip!!

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,787 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

The American Indian museum opened in fall 2004, I think, so you may have missed that. If so, it's a good visit and a great place to grab lunch. The 14th Street corridor has expanded with restaurants and clubs, and U Street is full of great restaurants that didn't exist in your day. Also, hit up 6th Street behind Verizon Center for some great small restaurants, starting with Graffiatto. To replace your beloved White Tiger, get a reservation at either Rasika location (Penn Quarter, or West End) or else show up at 5:30 and eat in the bar; outstanding food at both locations. So glad you're going to the Newseum--you'll like it a lot.

Mentioned in this post
White Tiger
White Tiger
16 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
887 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

Smithsonian National Postal Museum right by Union Station installed many new exhibits in the past few years and just opened the biggest stamp gallery in the world. Photos here: flickr.com/photos/…

But I think most of the changes happened in the neighborhoods. Walk on 14th st NW from Corcoran to U st. Be amazed at all the high end restaurants that wouldn't be conceivable 10 years ago. Check out the places around 11th st NW and Lamont, and stop by the best Mexican food place in DC - El Chucho. Have a margarita. Have two!

Go to 930 club, and keep going on Florida to around 5th st. See all the new neighborhoods joints - my fave is the Czech place "Bistro Bohem". Right around the corner is the beautifully restored Howard Theater.

Check out Navy Yard, I hear the waterfront park there is unbelievable. 6th st NE & H st NE is the place where a new Whole Foods is coming. And a streetcar too!

Newseum is great though, my favorite museum right now. Wish it was less expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
468 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Florida
Florida
United States
Bistro Bohem
Bistro Bohem
58 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Whole Foods
Whole Foods
15 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

Since you once lived near the Eastern Market, you might want to check out some of the new restaurants that have opened in the area. There's Acqua al 2, which is the DC branch of a Florentine restaurant, that's on 7th Street and directly across from the Eastern Market. It's very authentic Tuscan food, and very popular.

There's also a very good french bistro, Montmartre, that's one block from the Eastern Market [300 block of 7th]. I believe it opened around the time you left DC.

Nearby Barracks Row has undergone major changes in the past 10 years. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see that it has been transformed from a rundown commercial strip to a thriving restaurant row. There are lots of places to eat there, but I'm especially fond of Belga Cafe [Belgian] and Cava [Greek small plates].

In terms of museums, I'd recommend the Newseum. I believe the new building was under construction when you were last in DC. I find the museum's permanent and temporary exhibits fascinating, and the views of the Mall, PA Ave, and the Capitol from the museum's roof deck are spectacular.

I agree with the earlier comment about the Navy Yard development: you'll be astonished to see how the area has been revitalized in recent years.

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
446 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Belga Cafe
Belga Cafe
448 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
6. Re: Ten years since last visit - what's new ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:21