We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro DayPass question

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Metro DayPass question

Good evening, afternoon or morning depending on where in the world you are.

I have a question regarding the one day Metro pass which is $14 I believe. On the WMATA website it says:

Existing SmarTrip® card users may purchase this pass by logging in to their account online or by adding it to their SmarTrip® card at any Metrorail station Farecard & Passes machine. New SmarTrip® users may purchase a SmarTrip® card pre-loaded with this pass by clicking the Buy Online button.

Does this mean that you can't buy a day pass at a station ? I wouldn't want to buy online as the shipping costs would make any savings redundant.

Maybe I'm missing something here so would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows.

Thanks,

Darren

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,685 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro DayPass question

I have never bought one of these passes, but the way I read the web site, you can buy a SmartTrip card at any station and then add the pass to the card. Further down on the web site, there is a bit about buying Farecards, which are paper tickets - it mentions Farecards and Passes, so these passes may be available as paper passes as well.

Metrorail Farecards

Farecards hold from $2.70 to $45. Farecards are available at Farecard & Passes machines in Metrorail stations.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro DayPass question

The first question is whether you really want a One-day Pass? For many visitors, they will not spend $14 riding Metro in one day and would be better off paying the rate for their rides. It depends on many factors, but if you stay anywhere near The Mall, you will likely spend somewhat less than $14 in one day.

I do not know the answer to your question. I would think, but do not know, that you can buy a SmarTrip card with a One-day Pass at the machines in the Metro station, but that is not what the website says. Someone else may know the answer.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro DayPass question

Thanks for the quick replies.

My reading of the website shows to buy a SmartTrip card costs $10 - 2 for the card and 8 of credit. So I'm thinking to then load the $14 one day card means it may cost me $24 all up which makes no sense.

Also we're staying in Alexandria thus the thought of a 1 day pass. Other option which I have explored and may still do is to just drive in and pay to park since there are 4 of us.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro DayPass question

Are you only staying one day? Are you staying near the King Street Metro station or further out?

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro DayPass question

Most tourists make 2-3 metro trips per day - a $14.00 day pass would need 5-6 trips per day (in center zone non-rush hour trips.) Use the trip planner feature on the website to estimate some average trip costs from your hotel to downtown, plan a general itenerary of where you will be going, and then you can decide.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro DayPass question

One-way, peak-fare ride from King Street to Smithsonian is $3.35 per person. So one round-trip, plus another trip to somewhere downtown is unlikely to add up to $14. Instead you could use that $8 value and add to it for whatever more you needed. And if you didn't travel during peak hours, the price will be less.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro DayPass question

Just buy a Smart Trip card at the station and load some $$ on to it---the button on the machine lets you select the amount you want to load; be conservative, as you can re-load it at any time.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro DayPass question

Thanks again. Seems like the day pass isn't exactly great value.

One other question - would I need 4 SmartTrip cards or is it like NY where 4 people can use the one card and you just swipe each person through ?

Darrell yes we only have the 1 full day in DC - travelling between NY and Durham NC. We will be driving in on the night we get there to do the monuments at night so that will give us a bit more time to do things on our 1 full day. I've been to DC before but it was in 1990 LOL.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro DayPass question

You will need a SmarTrip card for each person. It is not like NYC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro DayPass question

You may be better off driving your car in on the day too. Parking will not likely cost $40 unless you move the car several times to different garages.