We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

A friend of mine is flying in from the West coast for a meeting in Arlington. She is scheduled to arrive at Dulles on United Airlines at 3:45pm. I am from Central Virginia and haven't been to Dulles in at least 5 years. I have two questions. First, what is the easiest way for us to meet? The Dulles map shows a cell phone waiting area - does that work pretty good? How long would you say it would take from United to curbside, with carry-on?

Second question: this will be rush hour so we were thinking of doing something and eating dinner between Dulles and Arlington. Ideas? However, since we are heading into DC, would traffic be lighter in that direction on the tollway? Any suggestions about a place to eat where we could also walk around afterwards? Not trying to sightsee, but maybe some place nice that is away from the area she normally stays in (Crystal City, Arlington, Pentagon City etc)?

Thanks

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

There are so many places you will have to narrow down the choices some. Price, type of food etc, pay to park, chains, no chains, ethnic food? Walking around afterwards adds a kink into the picture. NVA is the suburbs so walking around is not the norm. You could try something in Old Town Alexandria and walk around after dinner. I really like a crepe restaurant called Fontaine Caffe. If you are willing to go to a place where you cannot walk after dinner I like Sweet Water Tavern in Merrifield.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

Cell phone waiting works well. Tell her to call you when she is exiting the Aerotrain in the main terminal, and have her head towards baggage claim then out door 4 on the arrivals level. You should both arrive at about the same time.

The Reston Town Center development sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Right off the toll road, many food choices, and places to stroll about.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,156 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

We have used the Dulles Airport cellphone lot and it worked fine for us.

Since most of the way from Dulles to Arlington is via the Dulles airport road (not a toll road) which is always lightly traveled and the rest of the way would be the opposite direction of the rush hour traffic, I see no reason not to to just drive to Arlington for dinner. While Crystal City and Pentagon City would be OK, you might want to consider Clarendon or Shirlington (areas I prefer for dining). Clarendon would be very easy to access as you enter Arlington. Just stay on I-66 until the exit for Fairfax Drive (exit 71, I believe). Drive along Fairfax Drive and Clarendon Blvd. to Clarendon. There are a lot of good restaurants there. Or if you can navigate a bit more, the Shirlington area of Arlington is a nice area to walk around and there are a lot of good restaurants there too. To get to Shirlington, just take the same exit, but instead of continuing on Fairfax Drive, turn right and head south on Glebe Road and then follow directions from Google maps.

richmond
Level Contributor
928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

I agree with Longhorn we LOVE Clarendon. We really enjoyed Lyon Hall. Go to Urbanspoon for more suggestions. They have it broken down by neighborhood.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

Cell phone areas are for waiting in cars until your friend calls. Then you pick up at curb. Stop at REston to eat and walk around. Mostly chain big name restaurants but Clydes does a good job and is local group. Crystal City has some nice restaurant areas, one named Jaleo which is good fun menu of tapas. Not much shoppiing after dining but a place to walk anyway. Shops in REston might interest you---Talbots, Wms Sonoma, etc

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

Thanks so much for all the good ideas. The plan will be to do cell phone waiting/pick up, then head out on Dulles Arpt access road. If the plane is late, traffic is bad or irritating, or we are hungry, we will bail out at Reston- thx Warthog. If traffic is light and roads are good (no Polar Vortex), then we will head on down to Arlington - thanks Longhorn 74 and pghpeople.

My friend has meetings several times a year and is familiar with restaurants in Crystal City so hopefully we can try something a bit further out since she doesn't normally have a car. I'll check out Urban Spoon since they have neighborhoods. Wish Tripadvisor did.

by the way, Longhorn 74, when I saw your posting I thought - what is a person living in Arlington Texas doing posting in such detail about Virginia? That is the Arlington I know a bit better than the VA one :)

7. Re: Picking up friend at Dulles Monday & nearby restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:18