We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American University to George Washington University

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
American University to George Washington University

I need some help with travel.

We have 45 minutes to get from American University to George Washington University on President's Day. We have campus tours at both schools. I have a back/hip issue that sometimes flares up with lots of walking, so I try to be careful.

We will have a car with us (parked at the hotel), but don't know what to do.

Please let me know what scenario you think would be best:

1. Park at American University (Free) and then drive over to George Washington University and hope to find a parking spot. If there are no spots, my husband will drop off my son and I and he will continue looking for a spot OR drive back to the hotel, park, and then either wait for us to get back or try to meet up with us.

2. Take the metro to American University (which includes a shuttle from the Metro to campus) and then do the reverse, shuttle, Metro over to George Washington Univ.

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American University to George Washington University

On President's Day, just drive. If you don't find street parking near GW, there are parking lots. Traffic will be light and street parking will be free near GW. The only other alternative would be a taxi. Metro and shuttle will most likely take longer than 45 minutes what with weekend track work and changing Metro lines to get from Tenleytown to Foggy Bottom.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American University to George Washington University

There is parking on the street and parking garages on within 1-2 blocks of GW. An alternative, if they are not open, is a garage on 21st Street, NW on the other side of the Circle (because 21st Street, NW is one-way the other way at the Circle, you have to go to 22nd Street, NW to L Street, NW and east 1 block, turning right on 21st St.NW. If all else fails, do a valet park 1 block from GW at the River Inn or the One Washignton Circle hotel.

By all means: DO NOT take the Metro; too far, too much walking, too much time. DO NOT take a taxi; while ordinarily a fine choice if you don't have a car, their frequency on President's Day is not ideal, and you have a car.

Driving from AU, take Massachusetts Avenue, NW toward downtown, make a right on Wisconsin Avenue, NW, a left on M Street, NW, at Washington Circle, NW go 1/4 revolution, and you are at GWU with plenty of time to park and get to the Admissions Office.

Good luck--it's a great place to be for college.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American University to George Washington University

That's not the way I would drive from AU to GW. Why drive right through the crowded heart of Georgetow? Instead, take Massachusetts just past Sheridan Circle and turn right onto 23rd Street which will take you directly to Washington Circle and the GW campus. Or maybe even further east, depending on where you meet your guide for GW. The University covers quite a few city blocks and I have no idea exactly where you are heading. Going down 21st or even 19th Street could get you closer to your meeting point.

CT
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American University to George Washington University

Thanks for the replies.

So, it's looking like driving might be the way to go.

We meet are tour at the Admissions Welcome Center on 800 21st St.. They say there are some parking spaces at the Academic Center at 801 22nd St. NW on I St. (???) I'll have to investigate that a bit more.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American University to George Washington University

Shuttle works, but cabs aren't terribly expensive, and usually available. Ask conceirge at hotel if there's a taxi co which can work with you on arranging. Parking is horrible aROUnd GW. Don't do it. Tickets are expensive and THEY TOW CARS all the time. Perhaps the hotel has a shuttle. Have fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American University to George Washington University

As you come down Massachusetts Avenue NW from AU, turn right on 21st Street at the Westin Fairfax Hotel and it is a straight shot to the Welcome Center. On President's Day many of the usual parking restrictions will not be in effect and no need to feed the meters. I expect you can find something nearby, but it isn't an area I ever park in. Any usual workday, Coco A's warning is good, but on a holiday you don't need to worry.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American University to George Washington University

1. Posts #3 and #6: Darrel's route is much better by far as a direct route. Darrel's suggestion takes you past Embassy Row, which is very picturesque. (If you go that way, and you are interested, after you pass Wisconsin Avenue, NW, keep your eye out for the Embassies of Finland (left) and Great Britain and Brazil (right), among others.

If you want to see a little bit of Georgetown--and in particular its physical relationship between GW and AU (which might also inform your child's judgment about wanting to go to ONE of the schools in DC) --that is the route I suggested.

If you leave with 45 minutes to make the relatively short trip, as you suggested, you have time for either route.

2. You did not mention where you are staying, so the cab alternative became a little more difficult to evaluate or recommend. A related consideration is an hotel-AU cab expense, whether you will be returning to your hotel, staying elsewhere in DC, and whether you wish to have your car nearby if you will be leaving soon after GWU. (I described a number of parking alternatives near GWU that makes the car viable during President's week if you wish.)

Edited: 25 January 2014, 18:24
CT
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American University to George Washington University

Thank you so much again for all the help.

The red line was pretty much closed this past weekend, so, it's good we decided to drive from AU to GW. I appreciate the help with the directions. We did get a lost a little bit, our GPS couldn't keep up with all the 1-ways, it was dark, and LOTS of pot holes (oh my).

9. Re: American University to George Washington University

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:20