We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

can anyone tell me if the Ford's Theatre tour is self guided or taken with a tour guide. Friends of ours say they took a tour last year and it was taken with a costumed tour guide, but the website says self guided . Help !

Mentioned in this post
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,669 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
CitySights DC
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
The Ghost Story Tour of Washington
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Williamston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

I would go with the website. Things can change. When I went a few years ago, I just attended a ranger presentation in the theatre, I don't remember being led on any tour of the building (I think most people just want to see the inside of the seating area.) And about 25 years ago, I remember being able to go up to the door of the presidential box but it didn't seem that option was available on my last visit. If you check the Ford's Theatre website and look under daytime visits, it would appear that ranger presentations are still being done, but not every day, so you have to plan ahead if you want to hear one. It also looks like there is a presentation (One Destiny) done with costumed actors, perhaps this is what your friend saw. But it does look like it is self guided most of the time. Don't forget to visit the Petersen house across the street where Lincoln died the following morning.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 00:11
Mentioned in this post
Ford's Theatre
Ford's Theatre
3,669 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

ive booked a ford theatre tour for may,i had options but the one i chose was the theatre tour and museum with a ranger presentation,also includes access to the petersen house across the road where lincoln died,you can opt for the self guided tour,but all options are visible to choose from when you put dates in on there site.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

thanks everyone, seems like it must be the ranger tour they did, think that's what we want too

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

And don't bother getting the "audio equipment". You can pick it up on your own without the frustration with an ear phone. You got the right tour. I took the same thing last April. And DON'T lose your Peterson house ticket. They won't let you in without a ticket.

jc

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

thanks x

6. Re: Ford's Theatre tour self guided?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19