We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? 2 nights

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hockley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? 2 nights

My wife and I will drive from Petersburg VA to Washington and stay 2 nights before driving to Baltimore for 2 nights this Autumn. We have no need for a plush hotel with many extras but we will need car parking. We are thinking of a hop-on-off bus or walking tour on our full day in DC. Should we try and stay downtown and expect to pay high parking costs or should we stay out of the centre and maybe pay less and get the metro into town?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

Staying in the city would always be my preference. But if you look around this forum you will find there are some places that provide parking quite close to the city that will work fine. You just need to decide what you like.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

If you are looking at budget-priced hotels (under $150 per night), there are three hotels I regularly recommend for those looking for free parking: the Americana Hotel, the Best Western Iwo Jima and the Holiday Inn Rosslyn @Key Bridge. All of these hotels offer free parking; all of these hotels are located in Arlington, Virginia (just across the Potomac River from D.C.) within walking distance of a Metro station, so your ride into D.C. will be quick; all of these hotels are near restaurants. Some of these hotels have free breakfasts; some of these hotels have indoor pools.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

There are farther out hotels that likely will be cheaper that offer free shuttle to a metro station in Falls church and Fairfax

The issue with DC hotels besides the cost is also have to pay for parking. If you are doing DC on a Monday-Friday then thinking about driving to a metro station and going in on metor--parking at the metro can be difficult.

on a weekend staying at a DCA airport hotel, or an in DC hotel will likely be far cheaper than a work day hotel rate.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

IMHO, having to rely on a hotel shuttle to get you to and from Metro is the way to frustration and wasted time. I would avoid it.

Hockley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

Thanks longhorn74, we booked the Holiday Inn Rosslyn @Key Bridge

6. Re: Where to stay? 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18