We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get around as a "slow walker"

St Pete Beach FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
How to get around as a "slow walker"

I am a "slow walker". Which means that I also get very fatigued when walking or standing for more then 1/4 mile. I need advice about the distance between bus/metro and the main sites such as the smithsonian, WWII memorial, white house, capitol etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get around as a "slow walker"

www.wmata.com - trip planner. Also Google maps give you walking distances and times.

Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get around as a "slow walker"

Cabs are plentiful and reasonable. Get a good map and try to group together your sites as best you can.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get around as a "slow walker"

When you are near the Monuments, there are plenty of benches around so you can take a break for awhile and just enjoy the sights. I agree with the recommendations to group your sites and take your time. I managed a few years ago with a friend that had a broken leg and we walked everywhere taking breaks as necessary.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
705 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get around as a "slow walker"

The wmata trip planner site that was recommended to you in post #1 tells you exacty how far you have to walk---I love that feature. I would also recommend that you avoid rush hour metro rides if possible, as those of us who are in the stations and on the trains at that time are rushing to get to/from work, and it can be a zoo at times.

5. Re: How to get around as a "slow walker"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18