We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 rural nights away near DC

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
2 rural nights away near DC

Hello all,

My wife and I are going to spend some time with friends who live in DC in March, and we're looking for recommendations about somewhere to go for a couple of nights away.

We're off to Baltimore for a day trip, and have already been to Shenandoah... so we were thinking about Delaware? Or the Cambridge area? Looking for something 'different' to DC - walks in the countryside / beach / nice log cabin with nearby restaurant somewhere rather than a town break...

All help much appreciated.

John

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

Have you looked at the average temperatures in March? It is usually quite chilly. It even snows sometimes. It is far from good beach weather.

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

Ha! Yes, sorry, should have said - I realise the weather won't be great. I'm from the UK, so have plenty of warm coats / walking boots - I'm basically keen to try and spend a couple of days seeing somewhere completely different to DC, so figured that might be heading East. What I'm trying to avoid is turning up somewhere that is basically closed for winter with nothing to see or do!

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

Maybe Chincoteague VA, where you could also visit Assateague Island National Seashore and see the wild horses. It is about 3 hour drive from DC, but you could also stop and see Annapolis along the way for an afternoon, or St. Michaels. There is also a Wildfowl museum in Salisbury Md. that I've always wanted to check out, (but am always just eager to get to the beach.) Or for something really unique - check out Tangier Island. They all have websites, so you can check to see what might be open or appeal to you.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

Delaware has some State Parks that have cabins for rent. And I've been to Killens Pond ones in the end of March. One time, in bandcamp... ←I couldn't resist. One March, on the 1st day of Spring, it snowed in the evening. We built a fire anyways [they sell firewood onsite]. And my Brother fell asleep in front of the fire and got covered in snow. And while there is not a lot to do, there is hiking, fishing, biking [BYOB ~ bring your own bike] and we bring kites, but forgot kite string once, so we used a fishing pole and fishing line to fly the kite.

destateparks.com/camping/cabins/index.asp You'll need to rent these cabins in advance as they sell out quickly. But the reason we'd go at the end of March is they are not as popular at that time of year & we were successful getting cabins just a few weeks in advance. + there is a family birthday at the end of March

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

Great! Thanks to you all for the suggestions - i'll start planning!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

The Inn at LIttle Washington, and overnight there or a nearby B&B in Washington, VA.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

You'll be pretty close to Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive/the Appalachian Trail (no more than 1-2 hours).

Harper's Ferry is a nice historic town that has access to the AT and the C&O canal trail and those sections are quite nice as well. That's a good day trip.

Loudoun County is also the heart of Virginia's wine country with literally dozens of vineyards, many open to the public.

8. Re: 2 rural nights away near DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 07:18