We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

2 year anniversary with my girlfriend is this Sunday, but we won't be doing dinner plans until the weekend after (next weekend). I suggested Ristorante Piccolo in Georgetown since we've been there for New Years, but I think since that's our New Years thing, I should pick something else.

A couple of things I'm looking for:

1. Not looking to break the bank which leads to...

2. It needs to be a restaurant that serves good portions of food. I've read up on Marcel's and while it sounds like it's a great restaurant, I can def see myself going hungry within the hour or two after. I'm a big dude.

I'll eat just about anything, but she loves seafood, and sushi. I was thinking Legal Seafood, b/c it was the site of our first date, and it is our 2 year anniversary.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
743 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

When you say "not looking to break the bank," what do you mean? You said that and then mentioned Marcel's, which I consider pricey. If the prices work for you, I'd consider 1789 in Georgetown, or, less expensively, Proof in Penn Quarter or Occidental Grill at Metro Center......or for a weekend Champagne brunch, the Lafayette restaurant in the Hay-Adams.

Or, if you feel like schlepping out to the suburbs, 2941 in Falls Church. I went with my boyfriend a few months ago and thought it was great, with a very romantic feel (even though it is in an office building in a suburban office park! LOL. I know that doesn't sound very romantic, but it makes sense in person :)). There's a fountain and pond out the windows, and a small wedding was even going on outside while we had dinner, which was entertaining.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

While Marcel's has different menu lineups, their five course will leave you bursting at the seams. I'm a big guy, and I could barely walk I was so full from the richness of it. If it fits your budget, I'd suggest you go with that.

If you want seafood, I'd suggest Oceannaire. It's a level above Legal Sea Food.

It isn't sea food, but check out Co Co Sala. Nice dark, romantic atmosphere and great food.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

I would say tops, no more than $100 for the two of us. We're not picky, but we've had some bad outings, thinking we were going to get a nice meal and ended up being disappointed. Cuba Libre I'm looking at you!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

Isn't Coco Sala everything in chocolate?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,500 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

We have done the Chef's Tasting Menu at Marcel's, and have never even been close to hungry, upon departure.

I have always found their portions to be "just right," though I usually go with a finishing Cheese Course, and wife a dessert - we split those between us.

In the US, I find that some folk are offended, if the portions do not allow them to do take-away, and then feed the entire neighborhood, for a week. I am not of that mind.

Enjoy, and happy anniversary.

Hunt

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

I would suggest one of the Clyde's. They are all lovely restaurants with quite good food. And not tiny portions either. I am not a sushi eater, but I hear the sushi at The Hamilton is very good. (The Hamilton is another in the Clyde's group.) http://www.clydes.com/

Washington DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

Thai x-ing. Look it up!

Virginia
Level Contributor
264 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

IMO there is nothing romantic about Thai X-ing and it is way overpriced.

If you don't mind driving to Tysons, check out Nostos, a reasonable awesome Greek restaurant.

2942 is a beautiful place offering very good food, but maybe in a higher price range.

Otherwise, look into Proof, Boqueria, Corduroy and see whether you like any of them.

9. Re: Romantic dinner ideas in DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:27