We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Around Washington, DC

Willow Grove...
9 posts
Save Topic
Travel Around Washington, DC

Hi everyone,

I'm traveling with the family (two children: 12 and 13) to Washington, DC at the first week of April (2014). We are driving from Philadelphia to DC.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend us trip around washington (up to 4 hours drive). I know that there are the Luray Caverns and Shenandoah Caverns. But I would like to know if there are more areas we can travel around Washington. Maybe sites with attractions for kids (Ski, Zip Line etc.).

Thanks.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

There are some zipline companies in the greater DC area you could google for them. There is also a paintball company out I believe near Dulles Airport that friends have used. Kings Dominion and Bush Gardens may be open that week but KD is 1.5-2 hours depending on traffic and BG is around 3 hours. There will be very few people at BGs. I took my nieces and nephew that week a few years ago and we had a blast because there were no lines. I think we road the bumper cars without getting off for 30 minutes.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

Here's a zipline company in Harper's Ferry (about 90 minutes from D.C.). I haven't been, but the daughter of a friend of mine said it was a lot of fun.

http://www.harpersferryzipline.com/

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

Go Ape! Super fun with my niece & nephew. goape.com/zip-line/maryland-rock-creek-regio…

Also the Billy Goat Trail at Great Falls National Park - Md. Side

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k676697…

Also - since you're driving - if the kids have rollerblades, bring them and skate on the closed roads in Rock Creek park on Sat. or Sun.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

http://www.greatwaveswaterpark.com

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

Baltimore /ft mchenry?

Harper ferry is great idea.

Great falls. Maybe rent bikes along canal trail. Certainly plenty to do much closer than 4 hours to maximize enjoyment and minimize driving

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
733 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

You could go to Frederick, Md., a very charming little town, and take a hot air balloon ride (expensive but amazing!)!

8. Re: Travel Around Washington, DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:18