We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

West Springfield...
6 posts
Save Topic
Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

Hi,

Is it reasonable to plan an April DC vacation focused on the Smithsonian/Mall/White House/Capitol for 4-5 days completely dependent on the Metro and walking from our near-to-metro-station-lodging? We are planning to taking Amtrak to the city.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,786 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

Yes, that's how we locals do it.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

Totally the way to do it (speaking as a visitor). Get a SmarTrip Card and put`$20 on it to get started(each person needs their own). It helps to have a one page print out of the Metro map so you can find stations easily. Having a map of the Circulator routes & stops were very useful; at $1/ride they are great for filling-in-the-blanks for places that the Metro doesn't run to (e.g., Georgetown).

Edited: 09 March 2014, 16:24
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
822 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

I live in downtown DC and don't own a car, so it must be doable - 365 days a year! ;) (I do take taxis a lot too; I'm counting that as a subset of walking. ;))

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,809 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

One question is how many make up your "we"? A family of 6 staying out in the suburbs might find it cheaper to drive into the city and park for the day than to take Metro. Paying for 6 people to ride Metro from some of the further suburbs can be quite expensive.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
108 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

The DC "Circulator" Georgetown-to-Union-Station route might also be helpful. Be aware of Capital Bikeshare too.

Mentioned in this post
Capital Bikeshare
Capital Bikeshare
326 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

Absolutely!!! The first few times I visited I was reluctant to use the metro as I am not use to mass transit transportation so I took taxis, well that gets expensive quickly and sometimes can be hard to catch a cab. Then I bit the bullet and learned the metro, it is much easier, less expensive and more efficient, I love to walk so I walk where I can and use the metro for bigger distances, my advice is to buy a smart trip card, you can reload these as you need to. You can download the metro app on your phone and use the map to plan out your trip so you don't have to worry about looking so much like a tourist underground.

7. Re: Depending solely on the Metro & Walking for 4-5 days in DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:17