We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlington Cemetery

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
Arlington Cemetery

We are coming in 2 weeks and will be staying in Arlington and will only be using public transportation.

Question...I am getting confused with the amount of walking needed to visit ANC. How far of a walk is it to the cemetery from from the Blue line metro. Second, how much walking is there to visit the main points of ANC - tomb of unknown soldiers, Kennedy's grave, Challenger Space shuttle, etc?

We do not mind walking at all but I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to get tickets to the ANC tour or not. Would prefer not to spend the money if it is not needed.

Also, is there anything else that you would recommend us visiting or seeing at ANC?

Thanks.

Black Hawk Sedans
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
National Pedicabs
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
DC Pedicab
City Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Night Tours
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arlington Cemetery

Take a look at the Arlington Cemetery map for distances. A rough guess on my part is that the distance from the Metro station to the Kennedy gravesites, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Challenger monument would be around 1 mile or a little less. (The return would, of course, be another mile.)

www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/docs/ANC_Map.pdf

The ANC bus is good if there are those in your group with mobility issues (the walk is hilly in places) or if you want a live commentary through the cemetery. Otherwise, with a good map you can easily get around the cemetery on your own and see other notable gravesites and Robert E. Lee's home, Arlington House, as well. You can print a map before you come or get one at the Visitor's Center. They will also be happy to answer any questions you have about the Cemetery.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 19:19
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
703 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arlington Cemetery

I've only ever walked; my recollection is that I always somehow seem to be there on the hottest and most humid day of the year, but have always found the walk do-able. You won't have the heat to deal with; so, while you will have a good amount of walking, unless any in your party have mobility issues you can walk it on your own.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arlington Cemetery

Thank you! I think we will walk. About how much time should I devote to ANC. Do you think 2-3 hours is about right?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arlington Cemetery

Yes, 2- 3 hours will be plenty of time to see everything well.

Level Contributor
36,980 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arlington Cemetery

That's a nice amount of time for walking. We did the Tourmobile when we visited which was very nice but it stopped operating awhile back. Have fun! :).

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arlington Cemetery

The tram tour that is offered is the same as the one Tourmobile did within the Cemetery - just changed names. I have done it twice and enjoyed it. But I tend to be there when its hot too as I will be again this year in August. You get decent commentary and provides a break from the walking. If you opt to take it, make sure to walk away from the 3 drop-off points for more views etc.

Either way, make sure you go to the "top" at Arlington House. You get a great view of the city and its been renovated back to its original condition from the pre-1860's.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 16:49
Mechanicsville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arlington Cemetery

The walk from the Metro to the Tomb of the Unknowns is about seven-eighths of a mile as you need to stay on the walkways and roads. The worst thing about this walk is it is almost all UP HILL.

One thing no one has mentioned is the view from Arlington House overlooking DC – best view of the city anywhere! As you walk up hill, Kennedy’s grave is before the Unknowns and makes for a nice rest. Audie Murphy’s grave is at the top of the hill near the amphitheater – the second most visited gave at ANC after Kennedy’s. The USMC Memorial (Iwo Jima Statue) is within walking distance of ANC.

8. Re: Arlington Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:24