We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

Hi,

I have just booked some flights for the end of July. I'll be arriving in Chicago on a Wednesday evening at 7:15pm and flying back to Europe from Washington DC on Thursday afternoon the following week.

The original plan was to split my time between Chicago and Washington DC.

How would you split your time? How long shall I stay in DC? After what I've read about the heat and humidity in DC, I'm a bit worried. A friend also recommended Chesapeake Bay.

What do you think of the idea of spending 2-3 nights in Toronto in between?

I know this is Washington's forum, but some advice on the overall itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

It'll be hot pretty much anywhere in America. But Air Conditoning is also standard anywhere you'd go in DC (including buses and trains).

I'd give DC 3 days at a minimum, bump it up to 5 if you want to do a side trip somewhere in the region.

Chicago is worth at least 3 or 4 days (I love that city a lot) as well so you could easily do Chicago up through Sunday and then DC for the rest of the week.

With that I wouldn't reccommend flying to a third in between spot, especially Canda since you'd have to go through customs again. You could maybe do a day/night in Baltimore (especially if you fly to BWI from O'Hare) or even a little further afield to Philadelphia or NYC if you're feeling that adventurous and the bus/train from all of those cities are easy options to get to DC.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 16:44
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

Take a little time - read up on both cities and decide how best to follow your own interests. They are very different places. For DC 3-4 days is about minimum. Everything is air-conditioned. Also look closely at your travel times between places. Definitely not a 3rd destination. I would not advise a visit to the Chesapeake Bay - it is a great place if you have a few days and want to sail, bird watch, explore the marshes etc. but otherwise you would drive for an hour, look at water and drive an hour back.

Mentioned in this post
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

While Chicago may have some lake breezes, it is still hot in the summer. Sometimes worse than DC. I would not let potential weather decide what you want to do. And I certainly wouldn't put Toronto into the mix. That is something of a crazy idea.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

My comments on whether are based on averages temperatures and humidity.

I'd like to spend some time outdoors. I understand that most places are air conditioned, but how bearable do you think it'll be to walk/stay outside?

Is DC's air in July and August really as muggy as I've read?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,775 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

"Is DC's air in July and August really as muggy as I've read?"

Yes, sometimes. And sometimes it is quite nice. The two add up to make part of the average.

Something for you to look at: …cbslocal.com/2013/…

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

Maybe it's just because I've grown up with it but as long as you're reasonably fit and stay hydrated then you'll likely be fine. If you happen to come during a heat wave (temps consistently above 30 degrees celsisus) then they'll be talking about it on the news and such. In those cases, just take it a little easy, don't push yourself and save outdoor activities for the morning and evening.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

Having been there in August 2 years ago, it was brutally hot one day and much more reasonable the next day. Unfortunately for us, we were at the zoo the day the brutal heat came out...it felt like the animals were laughing at us for being outside. Just be flexible in planning and drink plenty of water.

Meanwhile, September last year was perfect weather for touring and a lot more enjoyable. Then I book August to come this year - due to the Nationals baseball schedule and what games we wanted to see.

8. Re: Advice on itinerary ending in Washington DC in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 06:15