We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car - toll pass

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car - toll pass

Hi,

Just reading through the forum and a post relating to tolls reminded me to ask about our rental car and getting the toll pass with it.

We did this in Florida a few years ago and it made life much easier.

So, my question is, is this a state thing, or national? Just that we are picking up in DC and dropping off in Miami. Will we be able to get a pass that covers tolls for the whole journey (yes, I'll ask our rental company too, I find that TA often gives quicker (and better) answers :) ).

Cheers

Pete

richmond
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

Tolls are a state thing. A lot of states belong to the same system called EZ Pass. Most times unless it is the middle of the night you can always pay with cash. Off hours are exact change.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

Also, there aren't that many tolls between DC and Miami and the ones I can think of are kind of commuter specific rather than being on the interstate. (Unlike I-95 north of DC). If you're staying on 95 then you really won't encounter a toll in VA, NC, SC and GA.

You might be able to get away with just having the correct change for whatever you may encounter. I'm not as familiar with South Florida though so definitely double check your routes and review what you did last time and see what you may encounter.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

Also, be aware that most car rental companies charge a daily service fee for the toll transponder. So, if you drive the car through VA, NC, SC, and GA before you encounter a toll booth in south Florida, you will pay this fee for each day of the rental, including all those days that you did not use a toll road. Check with any rental car company you plan to use about these transponder service fees.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

There are a few toll roads in Florida, but none required on the way to Miami. Just pay cash. All the northeastern states use EZ-Pass. Florida has its own, called the Sunshine Pass. There is no way to get it renting a car in DC. If you do want to take a toll road (and there are very few) just don't get into an "EZ-Pass ONLY" or "Sunshine Pass ONLY" lane. AND rental car companies charge so much extra for getting one of those smart toll readers, you are much better off just paying cash. I only know of 2 roads in that don't take cash, and none of those are on your way to Florida or are in Florida Just have a few $1 and $5 bills with you, in case of error, but 95 has no tolls. If you pick up your car at Dulles Airport, you get to use the free center lanes of the Dulles Access Road; non-airport users pay a toll, but you don't. It's very easy because they are in a sense completely separate roads along the same right-of-way.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

Also keep in mind that the Sun Pass in South Florida is NOT compatible with the EZ Pass. If you stay on I-95 in South Florida, there will be no tolls. Sun Pass is the toll tag for the Florida Turnpike (which runs from north of Orlando to south of Miami). If you find you need the Turnpike, you can also pay cash.

If your trip also involves Orlando, they use a different toll pass call the E-Pass (not the same as the EZ Pass). If you stay on I-4 to get through Orlando, there are no tolls.

As a complete side note, interstate highways in the US (I-95, I-5, I-4, etc...) generally do not have tolls. The major exception is in the northeast, as these highways had tolls prior to the creation of the Interstate Highway system in the 1950s. The I-495 tolls in Virginia are a special case, but you are not required to drive on the toll part of the road. You can still take the same road and not pay a toll.

dctravel

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

Great. Thanks for the replies. We'll pay at the booth if we go on any toll roads - although it sounds like there won't be many.

7. Re: Rental Car - toll pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:16