We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Hello!

My mom and I will be visiting during the dates of April 10-12 to see the cherry blossoms and near areas. I'm trying to go through Priceline or Hotwire and having difficulty choosing an area to stay near the DC area. I want to stay one night near the cherry blossoms, close enough for me to walk or ride the bus to get to the cherry blossoms. This is our first time going so I am very lost! I plan to stay the night of the 10th near the cherry blossoms and then elsewhere on the night of the 11th.

So my questions is: if I go through a discounted website such as Hotwire or Priceline, what area do I want to choose to be near the cherry blossoms? I don't have to be in walking distance.. as much as I would love to, it is too expensive! I just want to be in a safe area that does not take too long to get to the cherry blossoms. Or is it possibly for me to book a hotel in the Fairfax or Tysons Corner area and get to the cherry blossoms via bus? What's the best routes to get there?

I would like to stay below $150 if possible. I guess I just want to know the best way to get to the cherry blossoms without spending a fortune. Can you tell me how you traveled so that I can see if I can get around places without my car?

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
The Fairfax at Embassy...
1,959 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Tysons Corner
Tysons Corner
Fairfax County, VA
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

I would stay in the same place for both nights. That is a busy time of year to come. 1 option may be the Americana - its a barebones budget Hotel but its clean and near a Metro Station.

Mentioned in this post
Americana Hotel
Americana Hotel
1,454 Reviews
Arlington, VA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

The cherry trees are right down there pretty close to the monuments and museums. No need to switch hotels and go through that hassle. Metro will get you within a few blocks of the Tidal Basin, where the famous cherry trees are located. When you plan to come is an expensive time, and many hotels can be all booked up as most people know the expected timing for the blossoms. The only hotel really close to the cherry trees is the Mandarin Oriental, and it is one of the most expensive in the city.

Mentioned in this post
Tidal Basin
Tidal Basin
1,411 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Thank you so much for the information. If I book a hotel in Fairfax or Tysons Corner, will that be too far to get to the trees with the Metro? Do you think it would be too difficult to even think about finding a parking spot?

Mentioned in this post
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
The Fairfax at Embassy...
1,959 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Tysons Corner
Tysons Corner
Fairfax County, VA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

That is absolutely too far. And quite inconvenient. Tysons Corner is also one of the most traffic-clogged places in the whole USA. Crystal City, Rosslyn and other parts of Arlington would be far better.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Parking is limited near the Tidal Basin, and the local news has been running stories about how much revenue the District expects to make from parking tickets during peak bloom time. Your best bet is to take Metro, which you can do from a hotel in Crystal City or Rosslyn, as recommended above.

Mentioned in this post
Tidal Basin
Tidal Basin
1,411 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

There are still rooms available at the Americana Hotel in Arlington for those dates at a rate of $113 or less. You can't beat that with a stick.

The Americana Hotel is within walking distance of the Crystal City Metro station and from there you can take the Yellow Line Metro to L'Enfant Plaza Station (8 minute ride) which is within walking distance of the Tidal Basin. It's all easy-peasy.

For more info on using Metro, see www.wmata.com

Mentioned in this post
Americana Hotel
Americana Hotel
1,454 Reviews
Arlington, VA
L'Enfant Plaza
L'Enfant Plaza
98 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Tidal Basin
Tidal Basin
1,411 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Stay in Crystal City or Downtown DC and you could bike around the sites as well if you'd like either using Captial Bikeshare or a private rental service like Bike and Roll.

Mentioned in this post
Bike and Roll DC
Bike and Roll DC
3,327 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

We are staying in Old Town Alexandria. The Hilton and Wyndham are right across the street from the King Street metro station.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Bethesda, maryland
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

Hello, Their is a cheap hotel which not walking distance to the cherry Blossoms but 1 metro stop from it and then a quarter of a mile walk. It is called the Hotel Harrington which I have heard is cheap and I know is right in the downtown district of Washington DC. Near food, metro and late night enterniment.

Thank you

stephen Hosmer

sh34g@nih.gov

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Harrington
Hotel Harrington
1,424 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
10. Re: Cherry Blossoms April 10-12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:17