We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What month is best to visit D.C.?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
What month is best to visit D.C.?

What month of the year would be best to visit D.C.? We will be doing a lot of walking... seeing the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Capital Hill, etc. Would like to avoid cold, rain, and extreme heat.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

September or October

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

My vote goes to October, followed by September. We tend to have pleasantly warmish early autumns. We likely will not have beautiful fall colors on the trees yet at that time, but the weather tends to be very pleasant for walking around.

April and May can be really nice, too - or rainy! It's hard to predict.

This year (an unusually harsh and long winter) even March has been cold and snowy until the past couple of days. In a more "normal" year I would say March would be a good time to come as well.

July and August, and often June as well, are usually predictably (often oppressively) hot and humid.

Admittedly, I must be of more delicate constitution than most tourists. I like to go to northern Michigan (on Lake Michigan) in the summer to get away from the heat of DC, and at that time all I want to do in DC is go from my air-conditioned apartment to my air-conditioned office and back and spend as little time outdoors as possible! Yet I see zillions of summer tourists spending all day walking around the shadeless Mall, tirelessly going to all the Smithsonians, etc. My hat is off to their bravery, but I will not be joining them! LOL! So personally, I would avoid DC in the summer if possible, but obviously thousands of people disagree with me. :)

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

September & October are by far the best. Besides great weather and fewer tourists there are all sorts of local neighborhood festivals. Spring has nice weather but way too many people.

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

Beginning of October through Mid-November and May through mid-June are my favorites.

I've lived in DC most of my life and am surprised that people don't include the first half of November when answering that question. It doesn't typically turn uncomfortably cold until Thanksgiving. You can walk around with jackets (but check the forecast before heading out) all day long.

Similarly, I've found that the humidity doesn't really get opressive until later in June, so I think a trip up until mid-June can still be very pleasant, but you are taking more of a risk that there's an early heat wave.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

September or October. The large school tour groups tend to stick to the spring, so it feels less crowded in the fall.

6. Re: What month is best to visit D.C.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:16