We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

We are one adult walking, one in wheelchair (undecided whether push or scooter). Staying at Hotel Harrington, 6 nights mid-May.

Thinking of taking the metro to Arlington Cemetery, taking tour bus there, then walking/pushing across the bridge to Lincoln Memorial. Can anyone tell me if there is much slope crossing the bridge or if it is relatively level?

Also, is there a shuttle of any type from the Cemetery to the Iwo Jima memorial? If not, is the walk between the two level or hilly? Thanks

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

You can push a wheel chair but it will be a long walk. Once you are at the Lincoln Memorial you will still have a long walk almost everywhere. No shuttle to the Iwo Jima Memorial. Unsure about the terrain as I have only driven by and I have not paid attention to that.

I would serious look at another hotel if you have not prepaid. Hotel Harrington is the mecca of school groups which will still be numerous in May. It also is old and not very up to date. Location can't be beat but there are several other "budget" friendly hotels such as the Americana in Crystal City that are much more recommended than the Harrington.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

From Arl. Cemetary Metro to Lincoln memorial is .9 miles along easy flat wide sidewalks with beautiful views of the city. From cemetary to Iwo Jima is also flat, but probably .5 -.7 miles - then you have to return to Cemetary metro or carry on to Rossyln Metro - check online maps for exact mileage. I'd suggest you think about using Uber - download the app on your smartphone if you have one.

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

Thank you... flat versus hills is the critical info for us.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

Downtown DC only has gradual inclines. There are hills and bluffs around Arlington Cemetery but there's plenty to see without dealing with them. If you go to Iwo Jima and want to walk to Rosslyn you may encounter some difficulties as well. That may be better to see with a taxi or bus tour.

5. Re: Can we walk Arlington Memorial Bridge with wheelchair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:17