We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

third child in room

NJ
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
third child in room

Our room at the Hilton Garden Inn has two beds and since there we are bringing our three kids, that makes five of us in all. Our plan is to have our 2.5 year old daughter sleep on her new Toddler Aerobed on the floor. Does anyone think this will be an issue? Do I have to inform the hotel staff about this?

Hales Corners...
Level Contributor
145 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: third child in room

I would be quiet about it. I had a hard time find a room for 5. Even when it was for my kids that were 17-15 & 2 and we co sleep with our son

Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: third child in room

It is probably a violation of the fire codes to have more people in a room than the stated occupancy. Having said that, I am sure that you won't be the first person to have a 5th person in such a room, especially when the 5th person is a toddler. If you mention your plan, the staff may be directed to cancel your booking or require you to book a 2nd room.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: third child in room

I agree with the others. If you are bringing the bedding, just do it and don't alert the desk. They can and (likely) will require you to get a second room if they find out, as fire code limits the number of guests to four.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,073 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: third child in room

I would be more concerned about having room to set the thing up. I've stayed at that HGI a few times, and the rooms are pretty small!

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: third child in room

If you do manage to set the aerobed up, then you may want to make peace with the only hotel employee who may know or care - the Chambermaid. A good tip daily will usually make everyone happy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,547 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: third child in room

***Duty to Receive Guests***

The very first and most important "public duty" of the hotel is the duty to receive guests. But the duty is not absolute and is subject to lawful excuses. Hotels may generally deny accommodations to a prospective guest for the following reasons:

-if the person is unwilling or unable to pay for a room or other establishment privileges

-if the person is visibly under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or creating a public nuisance

-if the person's use of a room or accommodation would violate the facility's maximum capacity <<<

-if the innkeeper reasonably believes the person will use the room or facility for an unlawful purpose

-if the innkeeper reasonably believes the person will bring in something that would create an unreasonable danger or risk to others

***Right to Evict Persons Admitted as Guests***

Hotels may generally evict a guest and keep the room rental payment, despite the eviction, for the following reasons:

-disorderly conduct

-nonpayment

-using the premises for an unlawful purpose or act

-bringing property onto the premises that may be dangerous to others

-failing to register a guest <<<

-using false pretenses to obtain accommodations

-being a minor unaccompanied by an adult registered guest

-violating federal, state, or local hotel laws or regulations <<<

-violating a conspicuously posted hotel or motel rule

-failing to vacate a room at the agreed checkout time

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: third child in room

I can't imagine the hotel would actually throw you out into the street if they discovered this, but please do let us know how it turned out! Though if you booked a vacation rental apt. you would have lots more flexiibilty!

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: third child in room

I don't think it will be an issue at all, unless OP insist on getting the blessing from the hotel first. It is only a couple with three children, not five grown adults. I expect most front desk would just smile and wish you a nice stay. (One US city where this may be a problem is Las Vegas, they do charge for each and every person)

The only person that may need to do a little more work is the Chambermaid, even then most of them may not care as long as people don't make a big mess or ask for extra supplies. Whether there is enough space for five is another question.

OP, if you want more room in the future, you should look into Embassy Suites. They usually have an extra double size sofa bed in addition to whatever bed arrangement you reserve. So if you reserve a room with two double beds, the fifth person can sleep on the sofa bed which is usually in a separate living room with its own TV. Kids love that.

Edited: 05 April 2014, 13:52
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: third child in room

There are several Embassy Suites in DC. Maybe look into that.

10. Re: third child in room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:16