We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report :)

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report :)

I posted some questions in Trip Advisor about a month ago for an upcoming family trip. I got some great feedback and wanted to share our trip report. :) We are a family of 4 traveling with daddy on his business trip to DC...but mostly myself and 2 boys (ages 13 & 10) on our trip. It was GREAT!! Here is what we did....

Saturday, April 5

arrived in DC at 2:30pm (Staying at the Omni Shoreham)

We unpacked, then headed for the National Portrait Gallery. So great, loved the America’s Presidents and their “cool” exhibit. Thanks for the tips!

Then we took the 2 hour “Lincoln Assassination Tours by Foot”. It was amazing and would recommend it! Probably one of the highlights of the trip…among many :) Got that tip from here…THANKS!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, April 6

After sleeping in a bit, we ended up taking a 4-hour tour from “Walk of the Town” of the Mall & Monuments! SO, so much better than doing it on our own! Another highlight…I would recommend this to anybody. We got so much history and the 4 hours flew by (even for the kids)!

Took some sports stuff (small soccer ball, Frisbee) and just played on the mall afterwards.

--------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 7

9am-Spy Museum (morning there). This is the 2nd time we have been there and my boys love this place! I think we spent almost 3 hours, between the museum and the store :)

12:30-Archives timed ticket. Always a favorite, especially not having to wait in line with a timed ticket :)

afternoon-quick stops at the American History & Natural History Museums (been there before, so just popped in for a few highlights). The Q?rious place was new at the Natural History, that was fun!

3:45-Holocaust timed ticket. Speechless, glad we got to do this. My boys were fine here, just because we had studied the Holocaust in school this year, they knew what to expect.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, April 8

8:30am-3pm-Mt Vernon-Spirit Cruises. First time here with my boys…great fun! Amazing history and LOTS to do and see here. :) Did go on the National Treasure tour at Mt. Vernon, and it was fun. Not as cool as the other walking tours we did, but still a good time.

National Air & Space Museum-stopped in for the kids place and a demonstration…great place, we just didn’t spend much time because we had visited before. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 9

sleep-in/pack/check out of hotel…then walked to the National Zoo. What a great day, I think everybody else in DC was there too :) Saw the cute pandas and a few other animals.

3:30pm-plane left..we had to leave this amazing city! But we sure had fun :)

Side notes-was going to add the Decatur House, but it is currently closed for tours . We also ended up not seeing the Arlington Cemetery on Sunday morning. I was bummed that we couldn’t fit it in, but it’s on my list for next time (along with LOTS of other things)! We also didn’t get to do The Nationals game. It was kind of chilly Tuesday night and we were tired from a busy week so far. Bummer! But I SO appreciate all the tips, comments, suggestions for our trip…I used a bunch of them!!

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report :)

Thanks! I'll go look :)

jc

12. Re: Trip Report :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:17