We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monuments late night early morning

Southfield, Michigan
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Monuments late night early morning

I will have a car when visiting over the July 4th weekend this year. I am up everyday very early and would like to check out the memorials predawn. Is it safe? Parking lots open? Plan on doing this on Sunday July 6th

ps I am from Detroit so used to urban settings

Williamston...
Level Contributor
911 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monuments late night early morning

I would say it's generally safe. Not that many people out there except joggers. And if people feel safe enough to go jogging, I take that as a good sign. Somebody else will have to tell you about where to park as I didn't drive around there. I don't think there's any actual parking lots near the monuments.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,216 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monuments late night early morning

The memorials and monuments aren't really near an "urban setting", they're in parks. Nothing much around them at all except grassy space, other monuments...and the security guarding the places 24 hours a day.

You'll likely be looking for street parking versus a parking lot, and at 600 in the morning on a Sunday you'll likely have no problem finding it.

Just don't do it on Saturday the 5th instead; there will still be a lot of street closures from the fireworks the night before.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monuments late night early morning

If you are an early riser, and have a car, then yes, it is an excellent time of day to drive around and see them. I made a recent early-morning trip to Union Station to drop off a family member, and the area around the monuments was a ghost town.

It is very easy to drive around, and you will probably find very easy parking on the street or in small lots near some of the monuments.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monuments late night early morning

There is nearby street parking for nearly every monument (Washington, Lincoln, WW II, Viet Nam, Korea, Einstein, Iwo Jima, Pentagon, Air Force, Navy, Police Officers),

There are two with slightly distant parking: One is the Jefferson Memorial. It used to have a parking lot, but they closed it. Go to it and follow the signs for its parking.

The other is Martin Luther King, Jr. Park near the WW II memorial and walk over; it is between WW II (17th St) and Lincoln (23rd St) where 19th Street would be if it went that close to the water. And all of them are 100% safe; there are 24-hour Park Service police all around there.

5. Re: Monuments late night early morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:16