We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

Spartanburg, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

I'll be visiting with my husband, 3 preschool kids (ages 6, 3, and 3 months) and 2 grandparents, one of whom has moderately limited mobility - i.e. she doesn't use a cane/walker/wheelchair but can't walk more than about 1/4-1/2 mile at a time without a rest and has a hard time with stairs. I'd really prefer a vacation rental where we could all stay together and walk to the mall area (and drop grandma off or have her take a short taxi ride if needed) rather than lugging the whole crew to/from the Metro every time we want to go somewhere. But - I'm not familiar with the area and I can't tell based on the vacation rentals options online what areas are within "walking distance" (maybe 15 minute walk). Any suggestions on a vacation rental or a suite hotel (with separate bedroom) within walking distance? Budget is $500/night and we'd need at least 2 bedrooms (preferably 3) or 2 separate hotel rooms. Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

While there are many hotels within walking distance of the Mall, that doesn't help you much because the Mall is two miles wide. So even if you can walk from your hotel to, say, the Washington Monument, you'd still have a mile plus to go to get to other things like the Capitol or the Lincoln Memorial, etc.

So walking distance to everything or even most things is impossible. If I were you I would just look for places to stay that are no more than a couple miles from the Mall. That way you will have a five to ten-minute cab ride to most things on the Mall.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 19:16
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

Oh also the Mall is not a residential area at all so there are very very few apartments within close walking distance.

Probably the one area that is an exception is Capitol Hill, which is a residential area, but it's only within close walking distance of the Capitol and some of the stuff on the eastern end of the Mall.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

I have heard there are a few short term rental apartments in the Penn Quarter. If so that could work for you. But I doubt any are going to be big enough for you all. There is not much residential a short distance from anywhere on The Mall in any direction.

If you have a vehicle your best option could be to drive, drop Grandma off and then park for the day. That means a house in the suburbs could be considered.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

Look for a vacation rental near a metro - VRBO dot com and Homeaway dot com both have a map search feature. If you give me your exact dates (arrival and departure) I can search and help narrow it down.

5. Re: Rental vs. hotel for 2 grandparents and 3 preschoolers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 07:15