We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time for Washington Monument Tour

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Topic
How much time for Washington Monument Tour

We have tickets for 7pm on a Sunday in June for the Washington Monument.

I can't count the number of times I've been to DC.. but I've never been up to the top of the Washington Monument so I'm doing that this trip.

We chose the evening because of the light and position of the sun that time of year - should be great views. What I'm wondering is how long the entire experience takes... and how much time to budget. We want to go out to dinner after, and will make reservations somewhere, but it's DC and places close early, especially on Sunday.

Any insight would be helpful!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time for Washington Monument Tour

Depending on where you are in line, it could take up to 10 minutes or so after 7pm for you to actually get up to the top. To see the exhibits inside and to get good looks from all 4 of the windows should take no more than 30 minutes. Then you walk down a flight of stairs to get in the elevator going down and you'll be on the ground 2 minutes later. I would not count on being at the base of the Washington Monument until 7:45 pm at the earliest.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 17:04
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time for Washington Monument Tour

Unless they are doing it different now after the re-opening - your 7 p.m. ticket just puts you in line with about 40 other people. It could be that you don't actually get on the elevator until 7:30. Also, if there is a big crowd you can have another wait of 15min. or more to get on the elevator to go back down.

3. Re: How much time for Washington Monument Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 06:16