We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice?!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Andover...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice?!

I've been reading this forum and it has been so helpful. I'm in the middle of planning of our trip and was hoping to get some advice. We are a family of 4, two boys ages 13 and 8. My husband and I have been to DC many times but this is our first trip for the kids. We are arriving early Sunday, June 22 and leaving Thursday morning (June 26). We are staying at the JW Marriott and will not have a car. Here's what I'm thinking:

Sunday: (flight gets in at 7:45am) - leave bags at hotel, walk to Mall and go to one or more of Air and Space, American History and Natural History; go until we're tired, don't push. Dinner at Ebbitt Grill.

Monday: Spy Museum at 9AM when it opens, then lunch at Ellas, Hard Rock, or "Brunch" at Lincoln's Waffle House, Ford Theater (looking for suggestions on a good time to buy the timed entrance ticket!), then have timed entrance to Archives at 3:45. Dinner at Matchbox??

Tuesday: Waiting to hear if we get White House Tour for this day (this is the day my congresswoman's office requested), also waiting to hear if we get tour of Printing and Engraving - so this day is sort of on hold until I hear back. So, plan is: White House (outside if not inside), Holocaust Museum (perhaps just one parent and my 13 year old, my husband and I thought this museum is amazing and want my 13 year old to go, not sure about 8 year old) and Printing and Engraving. Hoping to do a night tour of the monuments this night and would love advice as to whether to use a taxi for this or a tour bus - leaning toward taxi?? No dinner plans, would welcome suggestions!!

Wednesday: Either finish the Mall museums (most likely will be necessary) or, if for some reason we are done with them, then go to the Zoo which I know my boys will love. Any dinner suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you have!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

I'd watch the ticket sales for the Spy Museum. During the summer months, some times can get sold out, so you don't want to show up on Monday, June 23rd at 9am only to find that all the tickets are sold out until, for example, 1pm. (Right now they are showing availability for that time and date, but that may change.)

I would plan on spending about 2 hours at the Spy Museum (and don't be surprised if your 8-year-old gets bored before those 2 hours are up. There's a lot of reading required and most 8-year-olds aren't up to it.)

While a parent and the 13-year-old go through the Permanent Exhibition at the Holocaust Museum, another parent and the 8-year-old can see "Remember the Children: Daniel's Story" which is an exhibit specifically geared to children aged 8 and up. The Holocaust Museum website specifically states that the Permanent Exhibition is recommended only for children aged 11 and up. Remember to order timed passes in advance for the Permanent Exhibition unless you want to try to show up early for same day passes.

I think that using a combination of your feet, Metro and, perhaps, taxis is the best way to see the monuments after dark. You can go at your own pace and any questions you might have along the way can be answered by the U.S. Park Service rangers at each of the monument sites.

Andover...
Level Contributor
72 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

Thank you, I bought the Spy Museum tickets today, appreciate the heads up and the advice!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

With two boys, you should not miss the Udvar-Hazy museum. There is a shuttle bus going there from tht A&S museum on the Mall.

I am surprised you din not mention any art museum, not the Natnl Gallery, and not even the Phillips colle tion, but Tastes differ...

A tour of the Capitol is, in my opinion, far more interesting than a tour of the WH.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

No, mdinai, the Air and Space shuttle bus between The Mall and Udvar Hazy was discontinued several years ago.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

Sorry then, I was not aware of that change.

6. Re: Itinerary Advice?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17