We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short layover-downtown possible?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
short layover-downtown possible?

July-We are arrving in Dulles Airport at around 11.30am from Tampa then have a transatlantic international flight from same airport around 6.30pm same day to Europe. ( 7 hours ). A trip into downtown DC seems appealing & too good to miss. I'm hoping our airline will plane transfer our baggage to our evening plane but assuming that gets sorted (and I can leave the airside and terminal itself then return) can anyone advise if this seems a practical idea or should I just forget it! (Probably take a taxi or fast shuttle there and back>)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

It is possible if you are willing to pay the round-trip taxi fare of $150 or so. But it will be a short visit to downtown DC.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

Thanks for the quick reply much appreciated! :-) Next call is to airline to see how tied to the airport I have to be given all the security reqs of international

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

You need to be back at Dulles about 3 hours before your flight leaves. Since you should already be checked in, you might have a little bit of leeway. Plan on about a hour each way into DC.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,926 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

Only you can decide if it's worth it as you really won't have time to do anything except take a taxi into the city, go somewhere for maybe 90 minutes, and get a taxi back to the airport.

Dulles is very busy in late afternoon with people arriving for international departures. Assuming you're traveling on a single ticketed itinerary your bags should be checked through. But I would still recommend being back at the airport no later than 2 hours before departure.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
737 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

You could go to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center, which is by Dulles and could keep you occupied for days, let alone a few hours of layover. :) It's fantastic! The only food option inside it is McDonald's, so FYI.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

The other posters have definitely pointed out some great things, so I'll do my best not to reiterate. At best, though, you will have 2 hours to see DC so the question really becomes "Is it worth it?" If you've never been before and don't know if you'll be back, it might be nice to see the White House / Washington Monument / Capitol Building / Jefferson Memorial / Lincoln Memorial. If you've been before, or may visit in the future, $150 for a 2-hour trip may seem less attractive.

Lizby makes a great point; if you're looking for something more convenient, the National Air and Space Museum in Langley, VA is quite close and it's a great museum.

7. Re: short layover-downtown possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:18