We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Georgetown safe ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Georgetown safe ?

I will be visiting Georgetown in summer staying at the Graham Georgetown Hotel on Thomas Jefferson Street. How's the crime rate round the area recently? Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

It's a city, so don't go walking around dark alleys at 3 am while staring at your iphone 5 with headphones. :) Other than that, that area is very safe. Are you planning on doing lots of site-seeing in DC? It's not super convenient for public transport, the closest metro is 10 min walk from the hotel.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

No better or worse than usual.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Georgetown is so safe that when a very rare crime actually does occur there, it's front page news :^)

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

The crime that a tourist would encouter (a mugging) is random so it's hard to tell where it would happen. But, that's not a huge issue in DC overall and not a problem at all in daylight hours.

Most violent crime is between people who know each other and is not random. Since you're a tourist you don't know anybody so you're safer in that regard.

And georgetown is one of the toniest neighborhoods in the region. Definitely no problems there.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

The reason Georgetown doesn't have a metro station was because they didn't want that kind in their neighborhood.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Actually that's not true.

welovedc.com/2009/…

But there are lots of reasons left to pick on georgetowners. ;)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Georgetown is PERFECTLY SAFE, very upscale, and a great neighborhood. No metro stop, as the others have humorously pointed out, but that's the only thing that would hold me back from recommending it as a place to stay.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Georgetown is very safe. Check out the area north of M Street. The houses and scenery are beautiful. This is an uphill walk away from the Potomac River. M Street and Wisconsin Ave. can be very busy and filled with people—not a bad thing—but other blocks close by are nice to see. Georgetown Waterfront Park is also good for a quick stroll and a drink. It is right on the river.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Thank you very much for your feedback and advice. I feel much safer now and I think I will enjoy Georgetown!

Edited: 16 May 2014, 06:09
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Georgetown safe ?

Yes , very safe. I think Washington DC overall is very safe now compared to say a decade ago.