We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC with my mom : )

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
DC with my mom : )

Hello there,

I'm flying to DC this late afternoon with my mother. I've been to DC a handful of times, she's been there once before. We did the main touristy attractions such as LM, White House. etc. I've seen some of the Smithsonians but she would like to see as much of them as possible.

We are staying around the Columbia Heights Metro Station area and I believe we have the public transport system to the museums all set. Anyhow, on the first week of January I was on U St and had a really nice time but I would like to do it again in temperatures above freezing level (lol). Last time I was there I stumbled on a bunch of cool little bars, and one with a fantastic jazz show. Anyone knows the name of a place to enjoy some jazz on U St? Not limited to U St, other suggestions are appreciated, particularly something that starts early in the evening.

Also are there any absolutely MUST eat restaurants you guys feel we cannot miss in DC?

I did check out the hidden gems on the Top Questions so the botanic garden and the congress library are a possibility in our itinerary but the museums are the priority.

Additionally, we would like to visit Old Town, Alexandria on Friday. Any suggestions on the best way to get there?

Thanks in advance!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC with my mom : )

Getting to Old Town Alexandria is easy. The Yellow and Blue lines go to the King Street Metro station. It is a nice walk of about a mile along King Street to the waterfront. And starting about noon there is a free trolley bus that runs between those points. I think there is also a water taxi from Georgetown to Alexandria, but I have never tried that.

richmond
Level Contributor
921 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC with my mom : )

Check out the National Portrait Gallery at 8th and F and eat at Zatinya.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC with my mom : )

Bohemian Caverns on U street (U and 11th specifically) should fill all your jazz needs.

Lots of places on U street that are very good to eat as well. Just poke around on yelp and see what you come up with. Dukem is great if you want to try Ethiopian food (I love it) and there's Ben's as well. Or Busboy's and Poets or the sister restaurant Eatonville.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC with my mom : )

For general entertainment guides - check out washingtoncitypaper.com DCist.com and Popville.com. U St. is a fairly small area, so even if you don't remember the place you went to last time, you can probably walk around and find it. Enjoy Columbia Heights - great choice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
737 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC with my mom : )

The U Street area has numerous Ethiopian restaurants, which as many on this forum probably know, I'm a big cheerleader for - I love Ethiopian food! My favorites in that area are probably Etete and Dukem.

Atop the Columbia Heights Metro station, I love the pizza at Pete's Apizza. You can order by the slice (you choose the type from a whole pie; they heat it up and bring it to you) or a whole pizza. It's super-casual, like a storefront, but there are places to sit both inside and outside.

Old Town Alexandria has, among other things, some good places for ice cream (King Street toward the waterfront); one of them I like is Pop's.

In my own neighborhood, Penn Quarter, restaurants I love include Proof (American-continental food/large wine list); Ella's Pizza; the above-mentioned Zaytinya; Jaleo (Spanish tapas); and Luke's Lobster (take-out lobster rolls - there is some indoor and outdoor seating, but it's small and can get packed quickly. Best to go there during 'off hours' - not peak lunch or dinner time. It's open all day).

Also The Source by Wolfgang Puck, adjacent to the Newseum - I like to also look at the daily display outside the Newseum showing the front pages of newspapers from across the USA. It can get a bit loud and be aware that during the day on Saturdays it serves a completely different menu - modern Chinese dim sum brunch - it's good, just totally different from what they serve other days (usually it's French/Asian-inspired eclectic food).

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC with my mom : )

Darrel thanks for the tips, we are right on the yellow line (I think lol) so that’s perfect. We don’t mind the walk at all. I’ve been to Alexandria once for lunch before, went with someone by car and felt like I totally missed out on all the gorgeous buildings.

Pghpeople, I will check it out online, thanks.

Canaanm & thegreatlizby & Victoria m, I think I had Thai on U St on my first trip and about 10 different bars, I should’ve had the sense of checking in via facebook so that I could remember their names but you’re right, once I’m there I should find them easily. I remember finding one with a lower entrance, bit of a brick basement, very small that played music I had never heard at a bar in the US before (some very underground UK indie bands). And YES on the Ethiopian food, we never had it and we love trying new cuisines!

Thank you for all the help guys, this is great info!

7. Re: DC with my mom : )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16