We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will hotel rates go down for October?

La Grange, KY
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Will hotel rates go down for October?

We are planning a DC visit the third week of October 2014. So far, the hotels (IHG, Hamptons, etc) we have looked into have been around $250-$350 per night. Wow! Is this the norm for October? I have looked at other times and the hotels are significantly cheaper. I am wondering if I should go ahead and book or if the rates might come down closer to the trip. We would like to stay near the attractions so we can mostly walk.

We do want to go to Udvur-Hazy at least one day so I would guess renting a car for that day would be the best option? Or would it be better to get a hotel out near Dulles for that one night? (We are flying into and out of BWI).

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

Hotel prices in October tend to be higher but I don't know why. They may come down as the dates get closer and they aren't full. Or they might go up when some big event is planned. Or there might already be some convention going on during some of the same dates to plan to visit. It never hurts to make a fully-refundable reservation now and keep looking.

Udvar Hazy is not so far out you need to change hotels. Renting a car is probably the simplest way to get there. By October the Metro Silver Line will be running (unless there is some snag) and that could make public transportation options far easier. So hold off reserving a car for now.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,641 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

It makes little sense to book a hotel out near Dulles for one night just to go to the Udvar-Hazy museum, which will only take up 2 - 4 hours of your time, depending on your interest in the exhibits there. You'd still have to figure out a way between your hotel to the museum and then you're stuck out near Dulles airport with little else to see or do.

I don't find those hotel rates particularly outrageous for October. It's a popular time of year to visit D.C. for everyone--regular tourists, conventioneers and school groups. I would probably book a reservation which I could cancel and keep looking during the summer for other options or drops in rates. You might also expand your hotel search to the nearby suburbs of Arlington and Alexandria. A Metro ride from a hotel in those areas can get you into D.C. in a matter of minutes and then you can walk all around. Rates at a well-reviewed budget hotel in Arlington which is near a Metro station (Americana Hotel) for the 3rd week in October run from $65 - $90 per night.

While I hope the Silver Line will be up and running to Dulles by October, it's never a sure thing with Metro. I'd make a refundable car reservation as well.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 16:43
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

The Silver Line to Dulles is part of Phase 2 is scheduled to be open in 2018. The phase that opens this summer only goes out to Reston-Wiehle. It may be a little cheaper to cab from Reston to Udvar Hazy that way (compared to renting a car for a day) but I'm not sure. You'd have to consult a fare calculator.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,926 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

I heard a museum official on the local news yesterday announcing there would be bus service from the new Metro Wiehle station to Udvar-Hazy once that phase opens, I'm sure it's too early for specifics, but check back closer to your travel dates.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

If you're not limting yourself to hotels look at vacation rental apts. on VRBO dot com. Many nice ones available at under $150 a night right in the city convenient to Metro. But October is a popular month so look now.

6. Re: Will hotel rates go down for October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 06:17