We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convention Center Area At Night ?

Ripley
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Convention Center Area At Night ?

We wil be staying at the Courtyard By Marriot at the Convention Center- and we want to walk to and from the Washington Welcome Center to take the night bus tour:: I want to guess that it would be a safe two block walk-? am I correct? thanks for any information:

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Most importantly, tourist DC is safe. At least as safe as any big city gets. And often even safer because of all the security surrounding government buildings.

second, the Marriott Courtyard hotel is not actually in the "convention center area" despite its name. You will have dozens of people on the sidewalks with you in a very lively area known as the Penn Quarter.

Ripley
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Thanks- I knew it wasn't actualy "at" the convention center- and looking at the map it seemed like a good place to be able to walk to the tour bus pick-up location: We would rather just park the car and take tour busses and walk to see the Mall Area instead of finding parking etc.

I appreciate your help:

TD

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

That hotel is within a block or two of every Metro line in DC, as well as being within walking distance of many of the usual sights. It is often recommended on this forum as one of the most convenient locations for a tourist visiting DC. You certainly will not need a car.

While a night tour of the monuments is quite nice, they are not difficult to tour on your own. And for any daytime travel, we do not recommend any of those tour buses. They are a very expensive and frustrating as a means of transportation. Walking, Metro and maybe a taxi are much better choices. Look around this forum and you will learn a lot about how to have a great visit to DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Yes, very safe

Ripley
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Darell6t- I appreciate your advice- and am pretty sure I will stay at the Courtyard Convention Center- but just for the sake of checking- the Holiday Inn at 550 C Street is just South of the National Mall and close to the Air & Space Museum- but I see no other Hotels in the area: I am guessing this area of DC is a whole different story for safety etc ??

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,809 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

There are few areas of "tourist Washington", and few even of "non tourist Washington" that would be considered "unsafe".

Sure, there are areas in the city where you wouldn't want to wander around, like in any city. But as a visitor you're very unlikely to encounter those areas unless you were specifically seeking them out for some reason.

The area of the Holiday Inn is vastly different than the area of the Courtyard. The Courtyard area is surrounded by restaurants and people. The Holiday Inn is surrounded by office buildings that empty out at night, and not much else. It doesn't make that area unsafe, it just makes it quieter.

Use big city smarts, regardless of where you are. Don't wander around drunk, don't take shortcuts down dark alleys, don't flash money or valuables around in public.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

IrishFan has given you the info for that area in SW. It is just boring and you will have to travel to find a decent meal. The Courtyard will be a much better area.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Agree that you're better off north of the Mall vs. south. Although the rest of the renovated shopping mall just re-opened at L'Enfant Plaza. It should be a better place to stay in the future once they re-do the old Loews hotel that's connected to the mall. In the meantime, you're staying in a good area. They really should re-name it to "Marriott Verizon Center." You'll be directly across from the popular Shake Shack. And of course one of the many Smithsonian Museums, also the Spy Museum, and Ford's Theatre 'round the block. Lots of dining options - Teaism, Menu, Red Apron, Protein Bar, Paul, etc. are all down the street towards Archives/Navy Memorial metro stop. There's a CVS drugstore on 8th & E St. where you could stock up on water & snacks. Every Thursday 3-7pm, there's a farmer's market near CVS.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
665 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Stick with the Courtyard Convention Center. It's very nice and it's in the best area for a tourist, as the others have said. I've stayed there many times. It's in an old bank building, and many of the original features have been kept, so it's not your typical Courtyard hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,516 posts
5,693 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convention Center Area At Night ?

Very useful input and insight on this thread. We've booked Courtyard Washington Convention Centre for a stay in DC later in the year. Reading this thread sealed the deal for us. Thanks guys!