We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BWI to Columbia

Mansfield, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
BWI to Columbia

What is the best and cheapest way to get 5 people from BWI to Homewood Suites in Columbia? I'm not that familiar with the rail system, but I can probably figure it out if I have specific directions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BWI to Columbia

Are you asking about the town of Columbia, Maryland? You should probably ask on a Maryland forum. It is really a suburb of Baltimore, not Washington, DC.

Maryland
Level Contributor
584 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BWI to Columbia

What are your plans once you get to the Homewood Suites? Public transportation is limited in Columbia, so I'm curious about why you aren't renting a car.

Mansfield, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BWI to Columbia

We will on the second day when my husband meets us. I didn't want to have 2 cars. I am hoping to pick up sometype of rail from Columbia into Union Station the next day. ??? Any ideas

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BWI to Columbia

It may be easier to get to DC's Union Station from BWI than from Columbia. But I am not familiar with what the possibilities from Columbia might be.

Maryland
Level Contributor
584 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BWI to Columbia

There's no rail service to Columbia.

Here a link to information on BWI ground transportation:

bwiairport.com/en/…ground-transportation

Your best bet is probably taking a cab, but the Super Shuttle may also be an option.

If you want to check out public transportation options, here's a link to the Howard County bus maps, but you're better off taking a cab.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BWI to Columbia

If you can, you might want to consider changing your hotel to something closer to BWI, and with a shuttle to/from the airport.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BWI to Columbia

It seems to me that you have picked a hotel that is totally out of the way for one night. Unless you have other reasons (that you have not mentioned) to be there for that night, picking another hotel at BWI will be a much better option.

If you really have to stay at that hotel for that night, may be renting car at BWI will be a good option. You can then return the car to BWI the next day where you will have way more and cheaper options to get into DC.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BWI to Columbia

I live in Columbia and unless you have a reason for being in Columbia, your choice of motel for that night is quite a bit out of the way for anything except the restaurant park. The only way to get there from BWI is by Super Shuttle of Taxi.

It sounds like you are heading to DC the next day. Where are you meeting your husband - in DC?

If that is the case you can take the MARC train Penn Line. If you stay at the airport you can take it from the airport to Union Station. From Columbia, you would have to take a taxi to either the Savage station for the Camden Line or to the Odenton Station for the Penn Line.

If you plan is to stay one night while waiting for your husband, stay near the airport. THere are motels with restaurants nearby that have shuttle service.

With more specifics Ican advise you better.

MARC Train Schedules: http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BWI to Columbia

I lived in Columbia once upon a time. I'm sure there is some maze of buses you can take that will get you there, but it will probably take hours and damned if I know how to do it. You will have to cab or do one of the super shuttle deals.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BWI to Columbia

There is no rail service from BWI to Columbia; there is no bus service from BWI to Columbia.

From Columbia to Washington, there is some bus service, mostly in the morning and evening rush hours.

Here they are:

…maryland.gov/sites/…995Oct_2013.pdf

…maryland.gov/sites/…929Apr2013.pdf

Good luck with these routes. I have no idea if they even stop near your hotel.

The nearest train station is about 8 miles away (like "Jessup" on the Camden Line), and the train runs only in the rush hours. The other nearest set of train station is 12 miles away (on the Penn Line) and runs about every hour.

https:/…Camden_Jan2013.pdf

…maryland.gov/sites/…20Schedule110513-1.pdf

…maryland.gov/sites/default/files/PENN-Weeke…

Columbia is not a suburb of Washington in the usual sense. It is barely a Baltimore suburb in the usual sense. In other words, there is no practically zero bus service into either city. It is 25 miles from Washington and 18 miles from Baltimore. It would be like asking: Which local bus do I take from Austin into San Antonio? The answer is: NONE.

Why not rent a car, pick up your husband at the airport, and you only need one car. Or have two cars for one day. It's cheaper than the taxi rides you will be paying for.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 16:21