We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

Hi everyone,

We are a family of 4 who will be visiting Washington DC for 3 nights in July. We are currently looking for a place to stay. Either a hotel, motel, hostel or b&b. We can't seem to find anything unless very expensive or if it is in our price range then it has not so good reviews. We will have a rental car so it is ok for us to stay a little out of the city. Does anyone have any recommendations for us? We are looking for something for about 100& a night. Is that impossible to find?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

Check the Americana Hotel in Arlington, Virginia. It is within walking distance of a Metro station and offers free parking in addition to budget rates on rooms. This will likely be your only option for a room under $100 anywhere near D.C. (You definitely do not want to stay at some distance from D.C. and have to drive in each day. D.C. has some of the worst traffic in the United States.)

www.americanahotel.com

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

www.travelzoo.com/hotels/washington-dc/…

Hope this link works for you, if not go to www.travelzoo.com, link to hotels, then to DC and Mid Atlantic. They are offering some decent properties in DC one in particular that includes parking which can be a heavy added expense.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

Also do you need to have a rental car? A car is not recommended for tourists in DC as it's an expensive and inconvenient way to get around. If you are traveling somewhere else after, it still might make sense to return your car, enjoy time in DC, and then rent a car again for when you are ready to move on to another city. But most of the cities on the East Coast of US are better explored without a car.

Vienna,VA
Level Contributor
395 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

I agree with UkieDC. Driving in DC is not fun as a local, let alone when you are not familiar with the city. Also, parking is expensive and often difficult to find. I recommend looking at the Arlington, VA hotels on TA and try to book one that gets good recommendations and is close to a metro. Arlington is just across the Potomac River from DC and has good restaurants and shopping. I'm not sure about the Americana, it looks very run down from the outside.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

I have not stayed there, but the Americana continues to review well among budget hotels, I assume because of the excellent location. I would not be scared off by the exterior appearance if it fit my budget -- particularly as compared to staying in a distant suburb and dealing with traffic or a long Metro ride.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1,887 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

I stayed in Silver Spring, MD. My hotel was just yards away from DC border. It took 6 stops by Metro to get to the downtown.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 06:36
7. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17