We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
13 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

Hi!

We're staying in Arlington (Americana Hotel) to visit Washington DC. We're planning on leaving on our last morning to go to Ricketts Gle State Park. What's the best route to avoid traffic if we're leaving early (around 7). Google maps gives me 2 choices: I-270 US 15 or I-83. Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,864 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

What day you are leaving will make a big difference. If it's a workday it will be impossible to avoid traffic. You will just have to deal with it.

Montreal, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

We'll be leaving on a tuesday morning in september. I understand that we'll be hitting some traffic bot was hoping that one route we'll be easier than the other. If not, we'll deal with it. Thanks!

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

You might hit less traffic heading west if you avoid the beltway (and thus, 270) and take the Dulles Toll Road out to US 15.

Note that the toll road prices increase dramatically after VA-28 so you may want to get off there and take VA-7.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

Take I-270 to Route 15. You won't be on the beltway long to get to I-270 so traffic won't be bad once you exit for 270 and all of the traffic on I-270 is coming towards the city in the morning. Once you get on route 15, it's a beautiful and fast drive through Northern Maryland and Pennsylvania. If you take I-83, you will be on heavy traffic longer on the Washington beltway and then you will be in Baltimore rush hour on the Baltimore beltway to get to 83.

Montreal, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

Thanks again! I'll keep that in mind

6. Re: Itinerary from Washington DC to Ricketts Glen State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16