We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capital Bikeshare during holidays

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Capital Bikeshare during holidays

Wife and I are planning on visiting DC for the long Labor Day weekend - arriving 8/28 and departing on 9/1. Staying at The George near Union Station.

We are interested in using the Capital Bikeshare system to get around but wondered if anyone knows how availability is around the National Mall for bikes?

TIA!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

Look at the pricing. From what I understand it can get a little expensive to use it as a means of transportation all day. The website should have a map of places where bikes are located. Understand that there may be no bikes where you want to pick one up. If you are keen on bike riding, look at renting a bike for an entire day. Riding may be weather dependent. Dec temps can vary.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 20:09
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

You can check online for live bike availability, and at $15 for three days, i think it's a great deal. Just remember to dock it every 30 min. you can dock and take it right out, but that restarts the clock. Also there's this multi-city app for bike sharing: http://www.spotcycle.net

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

Yes - it looks like great deal to get from point A to point B. Just didnt know if holidays like Labor Day affect bike availability

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

If anything it is probably in your favor. The majority of Bikeshare rides are for commuting and running errands. Residents will not be working, for the most part, and also taking holiday trips. I expect, but don't know, that many bikes will be available.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

It's hit or miss, depending on the weather. We've had weekends with absolutely no issues, and others where you can't find one as easily as expected. The locations on the mall are good drop-off points. Helmets are not required by law, but if you want one you'll need to bring your own. Be aware that you are not allowed to ride on the sidewalk in the downtown core. And definitely download Spotcycle. One last tip: if you get "dockblocked" (try to return but the docking station is full), you can tap in and get an extra 15 minutes to get to the next closest dock.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

1. I definitely recommend Spotcycle.

2. But look into a private rental company like Bike and Roll. That may be a better deal overall and they provide locks/helmets. Plus if you're a more experienced rider you might prefer a bike with more than 3 speeds. At least on their website they have a price comparison. Plus they have a stand at Union Station which is convenient.

3. But it seems like you understand the concept very well. I see a lot of tourists just walking the bikes around and I cringe at the overage charges they're racking up.

4. If you do decide to do Cabi make sure you use a credit card rather than a debit card for the bikes. They put a 100$ hold on your card to prevent people from stealing the bikes and that can last for a few days. That could be awful on your checking account.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

Bear in mind that bikeshare does not provide helmets.

8. Re: Capital Bikeshare during holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17