We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to museums from Merifield

I will be staying in merifield for 4 days, and was wondering what would be the best route to get to the air and space museum? I will have a car to get there, where is the best place to park? This will be during the week if that makes a difference with traffic.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Are you talking about the Air and Space Museum on The National Mall or the Udvar Hazy Museum out by Dulles Airport?

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

The smithsonian air and space museum.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Both are associated with the Smithsonian, but it sounds as though you are interested in the one in DC. You could take Metro orange line from the Dunn Loring station to L'Enfant plaza, and then walk up 6th street to Independence Avenue where the Air and Space Museum is located.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

During the week it may be hard to get a parking place at the Dunn Loring Metro station, but if you can that is an easy way. Use the Maryland Avenue exit from the L'Enfant Plaza Metro station and the main Air and Space Museum is only a block away.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

I think of Merrifield as being right at the Dunn Loring station and was thinking you could walk there. But not knowing exactly where you are staying, this may not be correct. If you are staying near the Metro station, I recommend using Metro rather than car. You have a car, so you could drive into DC but I never do that because parking can be a challenge. Maybe others who drive into DC all the time and know the best parking spots near the mall can chime in.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Thank you yes I am looking to visit the one in DC. I will be at the hyatt house on lee highway. I would prefer to drive but if the metro is easier I can do that. I'm new to the whole public transportation thing so it might be a bit of a challenge!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Your location is not as close to the Metro station as I originally thought upon reading Merrifield, which I associate with Dunn Loring Metro station. That area--now called Mosaic District--is not completely walkable, though it is getting more so every day. I'm so used to taking Metro and busses and never drive into DC. We need the car people to give you advice. Sorry that I can not help with that part.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Driving in the DC metro area may be more challenging than riding Metro. Driving is certainly an option if you already have a car. I do not know of any parking garages near Air and Space, but someone else may. Union Station is always a possibility though it is not real close to Air & Space. Street parking is really not much of a possibility unless you were very lucky and willing to only stay for 2 hours, or whatever the limit is wherever you might find something.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

If you are traveling into DC during the work week look at Bestparking.com for parking garages. Many of the garages have earlybird specials if you get into the city early. There are several garages I know of south of the Mall within 3-5 blocks of the A & S. But that would make your commute into the city longer with early morning traffic.

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to museums from Merifield

Thanks I used the best parking site and their is a garage a couple blocks away for 20$, called the federal colonial plaza garage on 6th st .