We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Toronto
8 posts
Save Topic
Canadians visiting White House

We are planning a trip to Washington in August and would love to tour the White House.

I read that foreigners need to go through their own embassy to get a tour, however, Unfortunately the Canadian Embassy in Washington says that they will not be facilitating any White House tours at this time. Anyone know how we can apply for a tour without going through our embassy?

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians visiting White House

You can't.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians visiting White House

This recent post contains a link where an Australian citizen spoke about being able to get tickets. Note that she recommends starting the process six months before your trip. Even US citizens might be challenged to get tickets for the coming month.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k743962…

And, I know many think this point of view is heretical, but I don't think that the White House tour is all that interesting. You see a limited number of public rooms and that's it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians visiting White House

Even if you were a US citizen you are really too late to apply for a White House tour in August.

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians visiting White House

No can do! I've been waiting for 6 months and I am a Canadian living here!

Come visit the Canadian Embassy, it's very pretty and just down the street from the White House.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
760 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians visiting White House

I second the rec to visit the Canadian Embassy! Sometimes they have art exhibits in there.

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians visiting White House

Can you just walk into the Canadian embassy?

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians visiting White House

I think about 80% of visitors are under impressed by White House visit. It's a lot more fun hanging out by fence in front and back of White House. You're pretty close and can get great pix.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,669 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians visiting White House

<<Canadians visiting White House>>

I do not think that is allowed... [Grin]

If the Canadian Embassy is not helping from Washington, DC, then I would quickly contact your Department of State (not sure of the official name), they might offer you more assistance. Also, do not hesitate to contact your regional government officials, as they often have clout that goes rather beyond the faceless bureaucrats, who do not rely on votes from constituents, such as yourselves.

Like some others, I also find the tour to be wanting, and with so much else to see and do in Washington, DC, I would be tempted only if the embassy made it easy, and I had some spare time.

Good luck,

Hunt

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians visiting White House

We are coming this month and gave up trying. I visited the White House years ago, and while it was neat to be able to say I visited, there was really not that much worth seeing. A good museum shows much more. Take virtual tour instead!

10. Re: Canadians visiting White House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:15