We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

Crandall, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

I've tried looking at the WMATA site to figure out their bus maps and just cannot do it....I need a local's help PLEASE.

We are going to be in town on a Friday and leaving the White House area to head to the Holocaust Museum, Jefferson Memorial, Tidal Basin area around 1:30-2:00 p.m.

From what I can tell, I would take a 52 and/or 54 bus. Does that sound right? Where would I get on near the WH and get off near the Holocaust?

I GREATLY appreciate your help!

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Jefferson Memorial
Jefferson Memorial
5,651 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Tidal Basin
Tidal Basin
1,435 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

Did you see the trip planner on the front page of the WMATA website? It is a much easier way to get exact directions than looking at the bus route map.

Actually even easier than the trip planner is just plain old Google Maps (maps.google.com), which can give you exact step-by-step public transit directions in two seconds just by typing in where you are starting and where you are going.

In this case I think the Metro from McPherson Square to Smithsonian is a better option than the bus. The reason is that these 52 buses appear to only come every 20 minutes, so if you don't time it right, you waste a lot of time standing around waiting for the next one. The Metro is much more frequent and reliable. 20 minutes is actually fairly frequent compared to a lot of bus lines in the city. Many only come every 45 minutes or an hour or more.

Or you could just make this really easy and hail a cab that will drive you the two miles in half or less of the time that it would take to use the Metro.

Honestly, with few exceptions it's just not worth it for a tourist to mess with the bus system. For it not to be very inconvenient you have to study the schedule and really time it right, which starts to turn your vacation more into work than fun. If buses were the only way to go it might be worth it, but Metro, walking and cabs are almost always alternatives.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

And I forgot the simplest option of them all: if you're at the southern side of the White House grounds, it is only a little over a mile walk to the Holocaust Museum. That doesn't take a normal able-bodied person much longer to walk than it would be to take the Metro.

I understand some people might not be able to do that walk, but just throwing it out as the cheapest and simplest option.

And again, Google Maps can give you these directions. It can show you the exact time and distance of the best walking route.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 02:48
Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Crandall, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

Matt - thanks for your help with that. I'll check into Google, and it helps to know it's about a mile walk so that shouldn't actually be a problem for us anyway. Thanks again.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,857 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

It will be a very cheap, and quick, taxi ride. Door-to-door service and no waiting for the next bus. It might even be cheaper than paying for 3 people to ride the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

Only the #52 bus gets you there. The 54 turn left to go down Pennsylvania avenue and not 14th all the way. As you can see the 52 bus runs somewhat infrequently, though the combined 52/53/54 has frequent service (this is the weakest thing about Metro buses, different branches of the same basic route (these being the 50s) don't run all that often).

Here is a schedule:

www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/52-54.pdf

I'd just take a taxicab the 1 or 1.5 miles (depending on whether you are on the north side or south side of the White House).

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

Downtown bus maps are tough because downtown is a relatively small area and so many lines converge there it's tough to read and separate what's what, especially if you're not familiar with the area. Graphic designers who come up with simple, readable and efficient bus maps are rightly treasured.

But yes, the extra expense for a cab (not much of that anyway) would probably make up for the frustration in waiting for the bus.

And of course, it's a lovely walk between the two areas considering you pass directly by the Washington Monument.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,163 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
7. Re: Which bus from White House to Holocaust Museum around lunch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16