We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

We are planning an 8-9 day trip to Washington DC September 12th. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you recommend also including a drive down to Colonial Williamsburg? Would one day be long enough to see the highlights if so?

2. This is our list of possible places/sites to visit. How would you group them and do you have opinions on whether or not they are worth the time?

Smithsonian (not sure which sections of Smithsonian to spend most time?)

Holocaust Museum

National Air and Space Museum

National Museum of the American Indian

Mt. Vernon

Arlington National Cemetery

Manasses or Gettysburg (which one or both?)

Fords Theatre

National Archives ?

Supreme Court

The National Mall

Visit Memorials-

-Lincoln Memorial

-Vietnam Veterans Memorial

-Korean War Veterans Memorial

-Washington Monument

International Spy Museum (is this worth time?))

National Zoo

The Kennedy Center 's Millennium Stage (if we see an interesting show offered one evening)

Georgetown and the Washington National Cathedral

Other cities in which we may have interest?? -

Colonial Williamsburg

Frederick

Hagerstown

Leesburg

Fredericksburg

Rappahannock River and/or 211-acre recreation area on both sides of the Rappahannock

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,160 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg deserves at least two full days. It is really too far away from DC for a comfortable day trip. Don't forget that Jamestown and Yorktown are right there too.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
119 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

We're going the other way ... from Williamsburg to DC. We've been to Williamsburg less than one year ago. Although, those who live there or often go may give you other recommendations, here are my non-resident recommendations:

1) Spend two full days; one for Colonial Williamsburg, 8:30 - 5:00; and one day for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM.

2) "Avoid" Mondays ... they're dark, as in Broadway dark. At Colonial Williamsburg, some fun things do not occur on Sunday or Monday. At Busch Gardens, one of the most popular shows--"Entwined"--does not play on Monday.

This is not something they advertise this or overtly let people know, but it something I found out the hard way after we had already made our flight reservations.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 00:51
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg is definitely too far for a day trip. I've done it. It's not fun.

Among the other cities:

- Fredericksburg has a nice downtown and the battlefield is really cool

- Leesburg has a smaller historic area but has its own charms. It's also a gateway to many (literally dozens) of wineries. Loudoun County is internationally famous for its wines and Leesburg is the county seat.

- Frederick Md. is quite nice, it's historic area is fairly sizeable and bigger than Hagerstown (but I have not spent time in Hagerstown itself).

- Speaking of towns like these, you may want to spend some time in Old Town Alexandria. It has the benefit of being metro accessible as well which you can't do with the other towns.

- On that point. I'd pick Annapolis over many of those towns as well. But I like the water and the Naval Academy campus is quite beautiful as well.

- Manasass is much closer compared to Gettysburg. Gettysburg would really stretch things for a day trip but it is quite nice.

- The breakdown of smithsonians depends on your interests. If you're an art love then you'll want to spend a lot of time in the art museums. Or you can skip most of that in favor of the history/technical aspects of the other museums. But, they're all incredibly close to one another so you really can dip in and out as you please.

- Same with the Monuments on the Mall. You can walk among them, though you'll end up walking a lot between them.

-And if you're a civil war buff (seems like you are) I'd suggest taking some time to stop in Petersburg/Richmond if you end up going to Williamsburg. Petersburg has a large battlefield park while Richmond has the White House of the Confederacy/Tredegar Iron Works. Plus you have the statues on Monument Avenue.

4. Re: Washington DC combined with Colonial Williamsburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:17