We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Parking on a budget

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel/Parking on a budget

We are planning a trip to Washington in August, will be staying overnight on August 9/10.

I really need some help deciding on a hotel. We have been searching a lot but have just gotten more and more confused!

I am travelling with my husband, infant and toddler. We do not want to drive around the city so would like a hotel that we can park at and just hit the sidewalk with our massive double stroller. Some of the sites we want to see are the Smithsonian museums, the monuments, the White House and perhaps Capitol Hill.

I need a hotel that is walking distance from the above sites, but also under $150 a night. Is that possible? We have been considering State plaza, holiday inn Capitol, Hyatt regency, the Westing Washington. We will also need to eat dinner somewhere around here with 2 very young kids (under 2), but I have heard that options are limited.

My other consideration is parking. I have heard that parking is $50/night at a lot of hotels. That is pretty pricey for us.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

It is not physically possible for a hotel to close walking distance to all those places. If you stay in the city it is almost certain that you will have to pay parking. If you only plan to spend one night you can't do much except pass by things and maybe go inside one or two.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
117 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

Unfortunately, parking in the capital is paid. $50? I've not had that happen. The most I've personally seen is $30. Actually the $150 may be hard after taxes ,parking and the other fees they tack on.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,816 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

Yes, parking at some of those hotels is going to run you close to $50 per night (Westin - $47, Hyatt $48). You could perhaps cut down on the overnight parking charge by parking in the Union Station parking garage, but that just adds another step to the process.

To save money on hotels and parking, you could always stay in one of the close suburbs (e.g. Arlington or Alexandria) and then drive and park in D.C. for your day of sightseeing. There are plenty of hotels close in to D.C. with rates within your budget and some of them even offer free parking. For those that don't, parking rates are substantially less than $50 per night.

Toronto
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

Thank you for your replies. I am planning on spending 2 nights and 3 days so I think I will have enough time to see plenty of attractions no?

$150 budget is for the hotel, of course I know I will have to pay for parking. I just did not want to spend the $100 extra that the Hyatt Regency charges for it.

Any ideas on appropriate hotels in the area? Thanks

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

The Hyatt Regency is within your budget. If you stay there, you have the option of parking at Union Station for $22 a day. It is only a couple of blocks away and has plenty of quick bite options. It is also where the Metro station is.

If you park at Union Station. You don't have in and out privilege for the car. They charge by the hour, with a daily maximum of $22. But then, not all hotels give you in and out privileges.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

We've just been in Washington with our kids. If you are driving in, all central hotels are expensive and charge a lot for parking. I would stay further out (like Arlington, as advised), and travel in by Metro, then go between places by Metro. You won't have to pay anything for your kids to travel (under four travel free), and Metro rates are very reasonable. Buy a SmarTrip card for each adult for $10 when you get to a Metro station - you get $8 value, so it only costs $2 per card, and you save around $1 on each trip using SmarTrip rather than paying for each fare in cash. We went down to Arlington for the Marine Sunset Parade, and the cab fare was only $10 to get back to central Washington, so if you're exhausted and can't face the Metro with kids, it's not that expensive to get home by cab either. It seems like everything is very close together, but it is a lot of walking for little legs if you don't use the Metro.

7. Re: Hotel/Parking on a budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16