We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westminster, CA
Level Contributor
957 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

I think its like vrbo....

just wondering if its safe....

we have a reservation at River Inn in Foggy Bottom on Oct. 12-18.

I have already researched this place and believe I will NOT be changing the reservation, but I could be swayed.....

just want to get the most bang for my buck, I will eventually post my itinerary....

for now all I know is, we are doing Gettysberg on Wednesday and a capital tour (we have tickets) for the 14th.

Well rough itinerary is:

sun. night - walk to monuments at nite, maybe a tour (not sure when the stop)

mon.- smithsonian museum(s)

tues. - capitol tour and ??

Wed. - gettysberg ALL DAY (renting a car from 6 to10pm)

thurs.-Arlington and Ford Theater

Fri.-Newseum, spy museum

sat.-fly home

any suggestions/comments?????

I'm not looking at the map, so i forget what areas are close to which areas.../what is doable....

thanks, have a good weekend!!!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Airbnb is mentioned here regularly. It can be good, or bad. At least that's what I've heard. Not as organized as VRBO.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 20:35
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Don't see the Newseum and the Spy Museum on the same day; you will be dizzy and exhausted. Each one costs $20 and takes four hours.

The Capitol tour takes about an hour; with entering and exiting: 1.5 hours; see a museum afterwards.

There are about a dozen free Smithsonian museums on the Mall; don't try to see all of them in one day.

Try to get bicycles from Capital Bikeshare for visiting monuments.

Here is a map of the Mall area:

nps.gov/nationalmallplan/Maps/NAMAmap1.pdf

Capital Bikeshare: http://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Concerning the River Inn: It's on the campus of George Washington University, near Georgetown, near the State Dept, near the Kennedy Center, etc. The townhouses around it cost about $1-2 million. And the White House is 1/2 mile away. I think it's safe.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

I've used Airbnb in Europe a number of times. All enjoyable experiences. The problems with Airbnb arise when people start renting out their apartments illegally, i.e., in contravention to the terms of their lease or to local ordinances. Something on the order of 80% of all Airbnb properties in New York City and Paris, for example, are illegal rentals. In Paris they have recently put an entire team of inspectors on the ground to visit every apartment rented out by Airbnb and prosecute and fine those they find illegal. In some cases, the renters have been cast out on the streets with no alternative immediate available accommodation options and all their Airbnb money lost.

Airbnb isn't illegal in and of itself in DC, but individual apartment owners need to be in compliance with the housing code, and anyone renting an apartment who lists on Airbnb must be certain he/she's not violating his/her lease terms (e.g., my lease specifically says I cannot sublet). I do have friends and neighbors who very legally and very successfully use Airbnb to get temporary tenants. So make sure whomever you are renting from isn't in violation of the housing code or isn't a renter violating his/her own lease.

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Airbnb in DC has some good listings, but you really have to know the city well and spend some time searching to find them. There are about 100 good ones in over 1,400 listings. Many of the listings are only part time, over half are not kept up, 50% will never even respond to inquiries and there is no way to sort them by price. But, if you are searching for exact dates, filter the search to specific neighborhoods and know what a good price ought to be, you can find some good places.

Always be sure to look at the total cost however - some listings include cleaning fee, some don't. And then Airbnb adds in about 10% fee to the guest, so an apt. listed at $100.00 a night with $100 cleaning fee might actually cost you $125.00 per night.

VRBO.com has 405 listings for DC. These listings are paid for by the hosts (around $600 per year) so they tend to be more professionally operated. You can find a good 1 bedroom apt. on VRBO for around $125.00 a night. The best location/value apts. tend to book pretty far in advance, but you might get lucky.

Another advantage of an apt. rental - besides more space, a kitchen, and a chance to experience a real neighborhood is that most will offer a pass for free street parking.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
435 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

When you go to the Capitol, you should also visit the Library of Congress. It's a really beautiful building inside and has an entrance to a tunnel that connects them. Also, if there is a line for security to enter the Capitol, you can avoid it by taking the tunnel entrance since a lot of tourists don't seem to know about it.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,124 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

Just returned from a week's stay at the River Inn. Very nice neighborhood. Very close to Foggy Bottom Metro. There is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's very near. They took very good care of us. We enjoyed the location and the service provided.

Westminster, CA
Level Contributor
957 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

wow such great responses where to start first?!!!

so happy about River Inn. Yay.

Tunnell to Capital bldg. .....luuuuv tunnels....

yay for Bike share situation....we will love to get on those if we can....gonna go check that site out....

forgot I heard library of congress is super cool.....

good to know about airbnb....i thought it just seemed kinda sketchy......

lov trader joe and whole foods.....I'm thrilled....!!

o so excited. cant stand it.

thanks you guys. appreciate it........

have a good evening.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

NBC News had a story about Airbnb problems this evening, including a guest that won't leave.

Westminster, CA
Level Contributor
957 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone heard of "Airbnb.com"?

NorhtofDC,

that site you posted is great but.....as I looked closely, comparing my "vanDam" map, I see that "newseum" is not on that one you posted.

Is that a new museum? no matter, just FYI, i think., it should show it right next to Federal Trade Commission, near Nat'l Archives....but i printed the one you posted....so i can play with highlighting my itinerary, so very helpful.

Also, what is the best way for me to get around out there....like to Ford Theater one day, the Arlington, then Smithsonian area....on the metro right?

any good sites you got for metro info/routes....still got to check out that bike thing....i can see alot of walking may be an understatement....been looking at googlemaps/street view....